Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ee99ee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Hello. I am going to Brazil for a few months and will be getting on my friend's family plan with Oi (provider in Brazil). Do I need to do anything special in order to use a Brazil SIM card? I'll still have my account with AT&T and will switch back to it when I return to the states.

Do I need to get one of those SIM unlocker devices? I don't want to jail break, but if that's what is required I will consider.

-Chris

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Your iphone will not work or recognize any non-AT&T simcard.
You will have to jailbreak and unlock in order to use it there.
Or try one of those sim-adapters things but Im not sure how/if they will work.

ee99ee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
I have a friend who used one of the adapters in Brazil for an iPhone he got here in the US, but I don't know if he still uses it. I'll ask him next time I talk and post here.

-Chris

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
I just came back from Colombia six weeks ago. I went and jailbroke and unlocked my phone. Worked like a charm, and it still works like a charm right now that I'm back stateside and with ATT.

A quick question - does your friend's family plan with Oi include data? Make sure it does. If not, you'll have to turn off a bunch of your data-related stuff, if you don't want your friend to end up with a humongous bill at the end of the month. I got a pay as you go SIM in Colombia, and I went through 20 USD of credits in one day with just a handful of minutes of phone calls. The rest were sucked up by my iPhone doing it's thing with data. Had to turn off a bunch of stuff to make it just a regular phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.