Taking my iPhone overseas - Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sportsfanMAW, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

Hi all,
    Next week I will be going to Ireland for a week or so and I have a few questions about taking my iphone over there. First (this may sound stupid) does Ireland have different wall plugs from the US, as in, will I be able to charge my phone with my wall charger while I'm there? Second, does at&t offer any monthly overseas packages while I'm there or should I just stick to Wifi hotspots?

Thanks so much!

2. Tweak3D macrumors regular

Yes, the wall plugs are different so you will need an adapater to make your current charger work. I believe all current iphone adapters are 110-220 compatible so you should just need the plug adapter.

AT&T has international plans but they are expensive and just make your use slightly less expensive than having none. Stick to wifi and don't use it as a phone. Do a search for international use about tips of what features to run off to prevent accidental data usage while over seas.

Have fun :)

3. crewrules101 macrumors member

Ireland

Ireland does have different wall plugs than the US does. You can either find an adaptor (just changes the plugs) or a converter (changes the actual type of electricity so your phone doesn't explode when you plug it in). I honestly don't know if you would need a converter though. I found this http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MB706B/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ&mco=MTEzNDU5Mzc on Apple Irelands website and it is the standard charger for the iPhones over there. Otherwise if you might be traveling to other countries (or bringing another Apple product that needs an adaptor you can use this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB974ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ&mco=MTM3NTMzODc without having to use a converter. It also includes a USB charger that you can change the adaptors with (not the standard style iPhone charger brick)

Also you should turn off data roaming if you don't want to get charged a boat load of money, or you can call AT&T and set up a one month international service, but forewarning data is very expensive...

Happy travels!