Taking My Iphone To Mexico

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gabeLA, Mar 4, 2008.

1. gabeLA macrumors newbie

I know this is probably not the first time that somebody ask this kind of question. What is the best way to take my phone out of U.S. and don't get a $500 bill?
    We have 2 iphones in the family and we are planing to go to mexico on vacation for a couple of weeks.
    I just want to use it for basic features like checking e-mail, some web browsing and maybe a few calls. I don't mind to do it on a wifi spot at all if necessary.

Any advise?

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Just make sure to turn off Data while Roaming. If you need it for a few minutes, you can turn it back on temporarily.

3. gabeLA thread starter macrumors newbie

Soo, That's It? You Think That Will Keep Me Safe From A Big Bill?
    Let Me Get It Right. Should I Just Check E-mails And Browse Internet If I Have Wifi Access? - What About Voicemail? Do U Know How They Charge U To Check That?

Thank You

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I just checked my Data Roaming setting and it was already off. This must be the default because I have never changed it.

What does it do exactly?

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Basically when it detects that you have connected to a foreign network, it stops you from accessing their EDGE and GPRS connections, therefore saving you a lot of money in roaming data fees.

6. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

I called AT&T recently to ask a similar question. They said that because I wasn't signed up for any international service that my phone would be "dead" in the country I was visiting. In short, I couldn't make/receive calls, get data, etc. So, they said I wouldn't incur any charges at all. But, I'd still be able to use the Wi-Fi and other iPod-ish features, of course. I also used that data roaming on/off feature to be sure. I noticed that the usage remained at 0 for downloads, which reassured me I wasn't downloading anything. I haven't received my bill yet. So, we'll see what happens. I did call AT&T twice about this before leaving the country... just to be sure that more than 1 person was telling me the same thing. Both people told me that my phone/data services would be "dead" since I wasn't signed up for an international plan.

7. gabeLA thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't received my bill yet. So, we'll see what happens. I did call AT&T twice about this before leaving the country... just to be sure that more than 1 person was telling me the same thing. Both people told me that my phone/data services would be "dead" since I wasn't signed up for an international plan.[/QUOTE]

Well, please let us know when u finally get your bill, just want to make sure that the info from AT&T is correct. sometimes those guys have no idea of what they talking about...GOOD LUCK!!! :)

8. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Not completely true. Before I had int'l roaming turned on, I was able to receive calls in Mexico (didn't try to make outgoing calls though). Now that I have the roaming turned on I had to specify certain countries/continintes. Even though I never had Africa roaming turned on, and it still show that was on my bill, I was still able to make and receive calls in Kenya, Uganda, and Egypt.