justywusty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Sometimes my Taptic Engine doesn't work at all, and sometimes it's very noisy...sounds like it's actually hitting the metal on the side fo the phone. the sound comes from the bottom left where the component lives.

Hopefully it's an easy fix...everything else about the phone I have is perfect. It's the most amazing thing I've owned yet.

Audio: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c38761vn909tbne/iPhone X Taptic Hitting Metal.wav?dl=0

Reactions: Vampire14

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Do they have replacements in stock yet? I’d backup the phone but I personally wouldn’t wipe it till that was the actual solution and I knew I could get one right then, because wiping out the phone only takes what, 3 minutes or so...

Reactions: ventmore

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Do they have replacements in stock yet?

Yes, Apple stores have replacement units set aside strictly for defective units. It's not a guarantee how many units they have, but Apple stores have replacement units set aside not for sale and are available for customers to bring in iPhones that are experiencing hardware/software related issues.

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I wouldn't wipe it, as you need to be able to demonstrate the problem. I would do the iTunes encrypted backup and then disable Find my iPhone on the X. Then it's ready to be wiped in store, after they've seen the problem and confirmed they'll give you a replacement.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I have the same noise but only when I swipe up to get out of reachabilty mode. Only makes noise and has faint vibration when swiping up from the bar at the bottom of the screen. If I swipe up above the bar to exit reachability there is no noise or vibration. Not sure if its supposed to make the noise and vibration or not.

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I have the same noise but only when I swipe up to get out of reachabilty mode. Only makes noise and has faint vibration when swiping up from the bar at the bottom of the screen. If I swipe up above the bar to exit reachability there is no noise or vibration. Not sure if its supposed to make the noise and vibration or not.

Do you happen to be running the iOS 11.2 beta? That’s exactly when mine happens. Dismissing reachability or dismissing control centre.

We reset to 11.2 default settings and it persisted. I then downgraded to 11.1.2 and it doesn’t seem to be happening at all anymore. So no replacement for the time being.

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
I just recently upgraded to iOS 11.2 beta 5 from 11.1.2 yesterday on my iPhone X and am getting this same clicking noise with a swipe up to dismiss control center or reachability. Is it a bug or a new feature?

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I just recently upgraded to iOS 11.2 beta 5 from 11.1.2 yesterday on my iPhone X and am getting this same clicking noise with a swipe up to dismiss control center or reachability. Is it a bug or a new feature?

Ok I’m now definitely convinced it’s a software issue, strangely enough. Definitely a bug as it’s inconsistently no vibration, normal vibration, or very crazy clicking-inducing vibration.

versuser

Suspended
Dec 4, 2017
Ok I’m now definitely convinced it’s a software issue, strangely enough. Definitely a bug as it’s inconsistently no vibration, normal vibration, or very crazy clicking-inducing vibration.

exactly same here, with older backup it works perfectly. it must be the software again..

supedagod

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
Nice, apple cash toggle showed up,I enabled it,5minutes later its gone,but still good on my wife’s 8(I got x) so I guess tomorrow the “geniuses “will tell me what’s wrong ,and if it is software ,what’s the point of them trying to give me a new phone?sooo extremely disappointed,feel like I got an android p.o.s.

versuser

Suspended
Dec 4, 2017
Nice, apple cash toggle showed up,I enabled it,5minutes later its gone,but still good on my wife’s 8(I got x) so I guess tomorrow the “geniuses “will tell me what’s wrong ,and if it is software ,what’s the point of them trying to give me a new phone?sooo extremely disappointed,feel like I got an android p.o.s.

its all software, no worry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.