Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

db67fm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
My iphone 4 is running 4.2.1 jailbroken. The sleep button on top stopped working last week (it is actually stuck down & wont pop back up). I am planning on making an appointment at the apple store where I am sure they will give me a new phone (I am still under warranty).

Question #1
I am planning on doing a restore and then update to 4.3.1 before I bring it into the store. Will they know that it has been jailbroken? Will they give me a hard time or just swap it out?

Question #2
If they give me a new phone running 4.3.1 will I be able to restore my iTunes backup from my previous broken phone? I recently purchased Pkgbackup and backed up my Cydia apps. Will I be able to restore the PkgBackup on the new iPhone? Can I take that backup created on PkgBackup and run it on a completely different iPhone?

dault2

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
The new iphone will probably be on 4.3.1 and you wont be able to take it back to 4.2.1. You will be able to restore from your back up and jailbreak with the new software for 4.3.1 and use pkgbackup to restore all that

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Even if you end up with a 4.3.1 phone, you can just downgrade it yourself

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
As far as them not doing anything because it's jailbroken don't worry about it. Just restore and theres no way to tell.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Even if you end up with a 4.3.1 phone, you can just downgrade it yourself

Depends - if they repair vs give you a refurb that would be true.

However if they give you a refurb there is a large possibility the phone never was jailbroken and thus you don't have the SSH blobs stored to downgrade.

Last refurb I got the previous owner had jailbroken and Cyndia had saved the blobs so I was saved :D

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Depends - if they repair vs give you a refurb that would be true.

However if they give you a refurb there is a large possibility the phone never was jailbroken and thus you don't have the SSH blobs stored to downgrade.

Last refurb I got the previous owner had jailbroken and Cyndia had saved the blobs so I was saved :D

saving blobs? last week i think, i made the mistake of upgrading to 4.3.1 from 4.1, and lost all my jailbroken apps, but never stored a SSH blob and was able to successfully downgrade my phone and am running 4.1 again

neenja

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
i was jailbroken on 4.2.1 and my lcd screen went out.. i restored the phone to 4.3.1 (latest version) and took it into the apple store. the guy went to the back to "run some tests" on it and came out with a replacement.. most likely a refurb, but it was on 4.3

you should be fine :)

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Question #1 I am planning on doing a restore and then update to 4.3.1 before I bring it into the store. Will they know that it has been jailbroken? Will they give me a hard time or just swap it out?

Yes, they will know and will come back to the Genius Bar and knee you in the groin and while you are bent over, they will knee you in the face.:eek:

No, they will not know it was jb.

db67fm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, they will know and will come back to the Genius Bar and knee you in the groin and while you are bent over, they will knee you in the face.:eek:

Thanks for the tip, I will be wearing a cup and football helmet just in case.

db67fm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well thank you all for the help.

I took my phone into the Apple store today after restoring it with 4.3.1. The so called "Genius" tested the button, looked inside the headphone jack to see if there was water damage then gave me a new iPhone 4.

Pretty much what I expected. I traded my 2010 week 27 iPhone for a 2011 week 14. I am assuming its new, not refurbished since the serial number starts with 87114. (Unless they change the serial number when they refurbish them.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.