Taking my jailbroken / unlocked iPhone back to the Apple store...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spaceballl, Apr 26, 2010.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi all!

So my iPhone 3GS is having some annoying problems with the EDGE radio. It makes a lot of buzzing noises. I'd like to go and have it swapped for a new one at the Apple store. Well, it doesn't need to be new - just one that doesn't buzz constantly when the EDGE modem is on.

My phone is jailbroken / unlocked with the newest version of the software. Can I back up the phone, restore it from scratch as a new phone to take it in, and then restore from backup with my replacement phone? I understand that some of the newer phones don't have the same ability to be unlocked / jailbroken.

I'm sure other people have gone through similar issues, but i was just curious what the recommended way was to handle this...

2. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Before you go there

Chances are they will give you a newer iphone with the 3.1.3 update and the new bootrom which makes it impossible to jailbreak or unlock. I would back up my SHSH file then try to do a full restore on it before you exchange it. I would follow this guide on restoring it and see if it fixes the problem.

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=12965

If it's too much to deal with the buzzing noise and you have to take it back then restore it and it will be fine to exchange with them. It will clear all your settings and won't be detected by them. When you receive your new phone, it should put all your free and purchased apps on there minus your jailbroken apps.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hmmmm this is what I feared. Okay I guess I can just deal with it. In reality, I don't use my iPhone as a PHONE that often...