Taking my locked US iPhone to Europe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toomuchrock, Apr 22, 2008.

  1. toomuchrock macrumors member

    Sep 28, 2005
    I'll be traveling through The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium here in a few weeks and I wondered what I should know about my iPhone. I need to shut off data roaming? Do I need to call AT&T and tell them to enable international calls or anything like that?

    Is there a better option with an unlocked iPhone and buying a local SIM card there and shoving it in making it a local phone? Something I could use for maps or finding a restaurant maybe? That'd be the biggest use I'd guess. Checking email would be a nice bit as well. Calls (both back to the US and to local pals) would be a very distant third.
  2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601


    Oct 16, 2006
    Definatly turn off data roaming, as you mentioned it im guessing you know how to do that.

    Other than that, just genrally remember to keep your phone calls short and sweet and to not send a lot of texts. If you want net access, use WiFi.
  3. igglepuff macrumors regular

    Sep 27, 2007

    international stuff will be on by default. You may need ot call to ask for hte international roaming package i THINK they have (not an att user). however, you brought upa better point. If it's unlocked you can pick up a sim from a carrier over there adn use it instead. However, if its a pay as you go, you can rest assured that IF data is enabled on it, it will eat up your minutes/$ on the card. very, very fast.
  4. mets1125 macrumors regular

    Sep 4, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I looked into this as well...You have to sign up for international data;I think its $20 month for 20MB. I dont remember exact #s but make sure you call ATT b4 you go
  5. devman macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    you don't have to sign up for international data. You really want to leave data roaming OFF and use wifi when international.

    ATT have two applicable features. World Connect which is $3.99 a month and lets you dial international numbers from the USA at a reduced cost per min. World Traveler is $5.99 a month and lets you roam internationally and make calls while international at a reduced rate.

    World Connect is pretty easy to get and you can do this online. World Traveler you will need to call ATT and get them to provision it for you. If you don't have a US social security number, you'll need a proof of address in the USA (a utilities bill, or a cable bill, etc. with your name on it) or you must have been on plan for 90 days before they'll provision this for you.
  6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

    Aug 11, 2007
    JB and unlock

    then use in Europe

    return to USA and then virginize, reactivate using same SIM..

    no harm done...

Share This Page