Taking my macbook pro on a trip..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by synchr0, Mar 3, 2008.

1. synchr0 macrumors newbie

I am going away for a couple days and wish to bring my macbook pro with me.. Ideally I would like it to last the entire 4 hours of the flight, is this even possible?

What should I do to try and make my macbook last the entire duration of the flight?

2. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Best things you can do...

1. Don't use the optical drive
    2. Turn off blue tooth
    3. Turn off WiFi
    4. Turn on Max Battery in Energy Savings
    5. Avoid High CPU Utilization
    6. Calibrate your battery before your trip
    7. Keep brightness at lowest possible settings
    8. No KB backlight....

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Set brightness as low as possible. Run as few applications as possible. And, most importantly, pray to the Apple gods that the battery will last.

4. matperk macrumors 6502

Second this.

My old MBP only hit 4 hrs when I turned the screen off!

5. synchr0 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I guess I'm very limited to what I can do then... Do airplanes usually have outlets or anything? Ideally I would like to watch movies or somethign to pass the time.

6. hassouni macrumors member

it's definitely possible. a 4 hour flight means 3 hours of usage, what with the restrictions during take-off and landing. Three hours should be fine with conservative usages.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Virgin Atlantic, Virgin America, Jet Blue are the only airlines I know of that have special outlets on all their planes. Most other airlines have some, but they are often limited to Business Class and First Class though, or worst case, use the outlet in the lavatory.

I would second the lowering your brightness, but I'd also add, don't use a USB mouse, keep the volume at the mininmum needed to listen over the engines.

I have a TiBook, and travel with it often (but it has been a few years since I flew with it), I never had a problem with the computer lasting an entire cross-country flight.

TEG

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Firstly, you wont be allowed to use it for all 4 hours anyways, you'll have to turn it off for take-off and landing, so figure you'll only need 3.5 hours max.

Secondly, use seatguru.com to see if your plane has power outlets.

9. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

power seats

You can check www.seatguru.com to see which seats have power. It's fairly reliable. I've only been on one flight where it was wrong.

edit: swiftaw beat me to it.