Taking my mid 2008 MBP to the Genius bar for Battery Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by borno24, Dec 28, 2009.

1. borno24 macrumors newbie

I have recently been getting the service battery message on my 15" MacBook Pro. I got this laptop at the end of June 08 and haven't had any major issues with it. However now that it is out of warranty it is having battery issues. On battery power it will usually last about an hour to an hour and a half before going dead. One interesting thing that happened a few days ago was when it was running on battery power the meter suddenly jumped from 21% to 51%. when at 51% the battery icon stayed red until it eventually drained from me using it. I am guessing that tomorrow at the genius bar I will have to buy a new $130 battery for my laptop or do you think its a more serious issue? Here are the stats from the system profiler on the battery.

Model Information:
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0110
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 3461
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 3686
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 281
    Condition: Check Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 389
    Voltage (mV): 12592

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

My 15" MBP is nearly identical to yours. I probably got it a couple of months after you. Mine was also showing the "service battery" message. I ended up taking to Apple Store a couple of weeks ago and after they ran a few tests, they gave me a new battery. I do have AppleCare though.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sounds like a battery issue. Use coconut battery to confirm load cycles and levels. Apple says that the batteries usable life is :

Incase you're wondering Apple probably won't do anything with it (for free) since it's out of warranty.

4. borno24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it down today and it ended up that he battery was at the end of its life. The guy at the genius bar did diagnostics even with me being out of warranty. Ended up picking up a new battery at the apple store and everything seems to be ok now.