Taking openwater scuba and need a knife

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phungy, Jan 5, 2008.

1. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I'm taking Openwater Scuba and the class requires numerous things. Right now I'm searching for a diver's knife.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? I've been eyeing this one.

2. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

3. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I gotta say that's some fancy advertisment, tech.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

What will be the primary purpose of your dive knife?

5. phungy thread starter macrumors 68020

phungy

Ad-free for paid MR members :)

Course syllabus says to cut ropes in case of entanglement. We're heading to the Florida Keys though, I've been there once when I was really young. I'm not familiar with the area.

6. phungy thread starter macrumors 68020

phungy

7. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yep.

9. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I've been diving for about 5 years, so I'll try to give you some advice. First off, where to buy the gear. I'm extremely fond of www.scubatoys.com. Scuba Toys is an actual shop in Dallas, TX. I bought my first set of gear from a local shop, and have bought everything since then from ScubaToys. I've found that they have the best price (and if you find a better one, they match it). Also, if you are a member of their forums, or www.scubaboard.com forums, you get 10% off....so basically they have the lowest price around, then take some more off. (no, I don't work for them, never have)

As for a knife....you aren't going to be stabbing anything. Ever. Your knife is to cut fishing line or rope that may entangle you. I've found the best tool for this is a pair of EMT shears (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=KN25) They don't look half as cool as a big knife on your leg, but their functionality is perfect. If you do decide you want a real knife, go with something with a blunt tip. You often can't actually see the holster underwater, so making it harder to cut/stab yourself is good. Plus the square tip can be used for prying and whatnot. (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Oceanic_Titanium_Knife) Titanium is really nice if you get a knife...never have to worry about corrosion, which is a problem even with stainless steel.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sage advice. :)

The key is to be comfortable with your equipment. Imagine using it when you cannot see for whatever reason and have to rely on feel. What would be the most functional device to help you get out of a jam when you are entangled.

But if you must have a knife for the class, then you might want to ask the instructor for their recommendation.

11. phungy thread starter macrumors 68020

phungy

That was some great advice, jknight8907. Thanks!

12. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

The EMT shears are a great suggestion and definitely get a blunt tip if you absolutely need to have a knife. I'm always amused (and annoyed) by the jackasses I seem to always run into that think they need a machete to dive in the open ocean.

Kelp forests and areas where fishing is prevalent, it's a good idea to have something to cut with. I've dived everything from the Great Barrier Reef to the Florida Keys; I've never been entangled and I've never seen anyone entangled, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.