Taking out a USB port while in sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluesTank, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bluesTank macrumors regular

Whenever I take out a usb plug from my macbook when it is in sleep mode, it seems like my macbook fires back up for a split second (DVD drive powers up, apple on top flashes)

This is very annoying and it doesn't seem healthy for my macbook to turn it on and then back off so quickly.

First of all, WHY is it set to do that? My wife's PC laptop doesn't do anything like that.

Secondly, is there a way to disable this?

Thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No way that I know of. I agree, it is annoying.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

So when you do that, the MB turns on for a split second then turns back to Sleep and the light starts blinking again?

4. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

No, it just drops out of sleep mode for about a half second, then returns to sleep mode.

It would be like if I lifted the lid up and then put it back down really quickly

5. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

A Macintosh is designed to wake up on any activity - mouse movement, key depression, optionally on ethernet activity - so when you unplug a USB device you wake up the MacBook. The reason it goes back to sleep again almost instantly is because the lid is closed which is the default sleep command. The only time it does not go back to sleep is if it gives you an Eject error. If you had a desktop Mac that was in sleep mode and unplugged a USB device, the Mac would wake up but not go back to sleep until it times out again.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think that's just normal activity... You shouldn't worry about it, unless it gives you the issues described by the poster above, that has been reported by some users.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is a normal, and annoying, reaction for any Mac with a USB Port (including the first iMac). However, it only affects those USB connections connected directly to the Mac, it does not affect any add in cards with USB connectors. I believe is has to do with how Apple wrote OpenFirmware and their implementation of EFI to behave to USB activity. I will say that you are lucky, on my PowerBook G4, when it wakes up due to a USB disconnect and wakes up, it sometimes doesn't go back to sleep and I cannot activate the screen unless it is either connected to an external screen or restarted.

TEG

8. Lou Cipher macrumors newbie

Yeah - my new Mac Pro wakes up if my cell phone that is plugged in to a cradle connected to a powered USB hub turns on or off by itself and it wakes up my Mac Pro and it drives me nuts!!

I have to manually unplug the USB cable for this phone EVERY SINGLE TIME!

It's horrid and this never happened on my PC.

This is such a basic function too and I can't seem to find any way to stop it other than manually unplugging the cable multiple times every single day - pathetic really.

The other thing is I can't get my Mac Pro to sleep on it's own!

I've called support multiple times and there are tons of threads about this issue even on the Apple website community forums where Macbooks that are put in backpacks remain on for hours and get SUPER HOT!

I see a potential fire hazard happening here and no one at the Mac support line is even aware of this issue.

Really buggy behaviour for an expensive machine and this is BASIC behaviour.

This is not good for the environment and wastes electricity and my hard earned dollars!

Really disappointed as a new Mac user - really disappointed.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

ok...

1) I'm sure if it were that BAD for the machine, they would do something about it the USB ports waking the computer up for a split second.
    2) Have you taken your computer to an Apple Store? I'm pretty sure people have gotten their laptops replaced over this non-sleep issue..

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Normal? Yes.
    Proper? No.

My MacBook will not sleep with a USB external hard drive plugged in. Anytime the computer goes to sleep, the external spins down, which the computer reads as "activity", and pops out of sleep mode. And then the HDD spins back up.

It's even worse if the computer is set to lock when it goes to sleep: the computer wakes, finds its locked, and tries to go back to sleep. But the HDD continually wakes it up, leading to an endless cycle of sleep attempts and waking, which makes the fans go crazy.

Terrible USB implementation... and the biggest reason I'm annoyed with the lack of Firewire on the unibody MBs. My Firewire HDD doesn't have any of these issues...