Taking Photography at A level

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JackT06, Oct 9, 2010.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hello,

I went to a college open evening yesterday, and now i really want to do A level photography. I was just wondering, if anyone here is currently doing it?(first or second year).

I love taking photos in my free time, and am currently doing GCSE Art, and most of my Art is based around Photogrpahy.

And could tell me what sort of things you do..

Obvsioly, i know it will vary College to College....

Thanks,
    Jack

From Hampshire

2. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I just started my Photography Degree at uni having done 2 years at a level.

I think there are a couple of differences between the exam boards but most colleges use either exexcel or AQA.

My college used edexcel. Basically you do a coursework project based around a "word" set by the college. For my first year it was "self". That project is worth 60% of the grade. The 60% is split up between four different areas. E.g. 25% final images - 25% theory - 25% dev of ideas etc.

Then the next 40% is from the exam board set exam also based around a word or phrase. My fist year it was "sanctuary" and it is marked in the same way.

The year concludes with you having to sit a 8hr exam - the work you do in it isn't marked and you don't even have to do anything, just as long as you sit under exam conditions for eight hours.

The second year is the same only 10% of the 40% for the exam is made up of an essay.

All in all it was very good and I had a good time. Only do it if you want to work and not just take pictures as that isn't what the course is about.

3. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Thanks so much :)

I know my college does 3 units, and then an Externaly Set Assignment, where they give you the task and then you have 15hours under exam conditions :)

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I wouldn't recommend you doing it.

Although it is an A-Level it is not seen as a fully academic A-Level by many institutions and may stop you from doing what you want further along the line.

Consider doing something more academic and continuing photography in your free time.

If you are already keen on photography you will find that you will not learn much more than you already know.

Also don't forget that when you get continual assignments on photography you may start to get tired of your camera and wish you didn't have to go out and take "the" picture!

Stick to the academic subjects and you will be happy that you qualified with traditional A-Levels!