Taking the iPhone apart

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by itsderpxd, Nov 14, 2012.

1. itsderpxd macrumors member

Hi,

My screen broke, and I am trying to replace it. What tools would I need to take it apart? Also, where do people usually buy the screens / replacement parts?

Thanks!

-A.C.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Helps to know which iphone!

3G and 3GS require a Philips head jewellers driver

4-4s require a pentalobe driver a flat heat and Philips jewellers driver.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Making sure you have the correct tools is paramount...I recently bought a new Apple toolkit...They are available in many different varieties for all Apple devices:

The one in the image is for All MBP's, but they do complete kits for the iphone too:

Attached Files:

4. itsderpxd thread starter macrumors member

4s !

Bought this : http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75093-Ha...52966968&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=wiha+pentalobe

for my macbook, would any of these work for the iPhone?

Also where do people get screens ? :< . ( hoping to get cheap yet quality - if possible )

Edit: is there a specific size for these tools ?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

99% of the replacements come with drivers.

You need a screen and digitiser DO NOT but them separate as there laminated during manufacturing and cannot be separated!!

6. itsderpxd thread starter macrumors member

:( that's in the UK.. don't think any retailer on Amazon in the U.S. does specific kits for iphone.

----------

Where do people buy these screen and digitizers? (Is there a place where most people get them? a reliable seller? )

7. stonyboys macrumors 6502

8. anvikapur macrumors member

sharing the resource below check out step-by-step guide to fixing a broken front panel on your iPhone
    howto[dot]cnet[dot]com/8301-11310_39-57472946-285/how-to-replace-a-broken-screen-on-your-iphone/

9. itsderpxd thread starter macrumors member

Hm :\ thanks for the suggestion. Kind of hoping that after I replace mine, i'll be able to get the hang of it to help others

10. itsderpxd thread starter macrumors member

Where does one get a high quality 5 point pentalobe screwdriver? .. all the ones on ebay and amazon are quite cheap quality

11. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

12. itsderpxd thread starter macrumors member

iFixit's "High quality" pentalobe screw driver is made by BEST, which is the same as those on ebay