Taking the latest update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cowboy26a, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Cowboy26a macrumors newbie

I jail broke my Iphone 4 with Limerain a while back when I first got it. The software is at 4.1. Some of the apps I want to download require a latter software upsate. I really don't use the jailbreak feature and was wondering what would happen if I updated to the latest software version(5.1.1) in Itunes. The main thing is that I don't want to loose my contacts and photos and I don't mind if the phone is not jailbroke. I do sync my phone with Itunes every now and then. When you sync , does it update your contacts and photos in Itunes? Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Perform a backup whatever you decide to do.

Their is plenty of existing threads, stickies and YouTube tutorials on how to do what your asking.

3. Cowboy26a thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a back up in Itunes by right clicking on my Iphone in the left colum and left clicked back-up. Is that all the back up I need?

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If your on ios5 you could consider iCloud too.

5. Cowboy26a thread starter macrumors newbie

I am on 4.1

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

You can update (and your jailbreak will go away), but things from your jailbreak might carry over like device files and even certain tweaks. Your device could possibly encounter small issues here and there down the road like with your battery and such which is why it's suggested you restore. You would want to restore as new and not from a back up as well.

7. Cowboy26a thread starter macrumors newbie

If I restore as new how do I add my contacts and apple apps back to the phone. Thanks for your time.

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

Contacts you can't unless you have them being synced in from Google or an Exchange account. Apps can just be dragged over from your app library in iTunes but all app data will be lost.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I opt to use the contacts and ical app on my MBA with iCloud backups too.