Taking the plunge sooner rather than latter.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BobP63, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. BobP63 macrumors newbie

    Jan 17, 2007
    I’ve spent the last few weeks trying to decide whether to purchase a new iMac now or wait to see what happens once Leopard is introduced; however the harsh reality of getting older has forced my hand. I find myself constantly increasing font size on my MacBook just to see clearly, you can only do that so much before running out of real estate on a 13” screen. Normally I try to get 3-4 years good service from a computer before upgrading, with this in mind I was a little hesitant buying new hardware with Leopard so close to release. To hedge my bet on what the future might bring I decided to order a customized 20” iMac rather than opting for the base model. I ordered my iMac with 2GB Ram and 256MB VRam along with a wireless keyboard and mouse; I felt the standard 250GB hard drive was more than sufficient. Hopefully this configuration will provide good service when I eventually upgrade to Leopard. In any event my son’s happy with my purchase because he’s about to inherit a mint condition Black MacBook.
  2. AlexH macrumors 68020


    Mar 7, 2006
    Congrats on your new purchase! I actually just ordered a new iMac today. I needed it, didn't really want to wait, and as far as 10.5 goes, I'm sure when it is rolled out, it will be solid, beautiful, and stable, but I still want to give it a little while before upgrading.

    Here's what I ordered:
    17" iMac
    2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    250GB HD

    PS: Congrats to your son on inheriting a great notebook. :cool:
  3. BobP63 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 17, 2007
    Congratulations on your new iMac as well. I briefly toyed with the idea of the 24" but couldn’t justify the price once I honestly assessed my needs. When it came time to actually part with the cash I walked over to a 17” iMac placing a MacBook by its side, after spending a few minutes surfing the web with each I determined the 17” would be sufficient to resolve my screen size issue. In short an upgraded 17” would have been the most practical choice, had my son not prodded me I would have likely ordered the exact configuration you did. Maybe he figures he’ll end up with the iMac as well, but that’s not happening anytime soon.

Share This Page