Taking things out of the trash

emotistically

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
39
0
I had my finder window open and my desktop was placed into the recycle bin. How do I remove it for the recycle bin without deleting it? I can't drag it out and I can make copies of the folder but the icon and the file are still in the trash.

Is there a comand that will restore an item put into the trash. Right now I can make copies of my desktop but if I empty the trash everything on my desktop will be deleted. I know in windows there is an easy way of restoring anything in the trash, why wouldn windows have it and mac not?
 

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
1,695
3
Clovis, California
1. Click on the trash can icon on the Dock one time.

2. When the window pops up with the item inside that you want to retrieve, just drag the item out of the window onto the desktop. You're done.
 

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
5,396
7
San Francisco
You might not be able to remove you Desktop folder from the trash because as soon as you put it in the trash a new one was created. How and why did you put your Desktop folder in the trash? Anyway you'll probably have to restore your desktop manually (if you had anything on the desktop) at this point.
 

emotistically

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
39
0
GimmeSlack12 said:
You might not be able to remove you Desktop folder from the trash because as soon as you put it in the trash a new one was created. How and why did you put your Desktop folder in the trash? Anyway you'll probably have to restore your desktop manually (if you had anything on the desktop) at this point.
Why wouldn't I be able to take something out of the trash. It is stupid, I should be able to just drag it out and it will be out. There are some things about make that are pissing me off.

How would I restore my desktop manually?

If something goes in the trash is it always going to be deleted?
 

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
5,701
287
Chicago, IL
iGary said:
I thought this was about trash picking. :D
I did that today. Some guy threw out a perfectly new newspaper from today so I grabbed it off of the top of the garbage can and took it.
 

emotistically

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
39
0
MACDRIVE said:
1. Click on the trash can icon on the Dock one time.

2. When the window pops up with the item inside that you want to retrieve, just drag the item out of the window onto the desktop. You're done.
The problem is the folder I want to retrieve is my desktop folder, all items on the desktop are put into the folder in the trash.

Isn't there a simple restore comand. Windows has one right next to the empty the trash and also on its right click.

Maybe I should by windows xp pro and never boot onto OSX.
 

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
857
0
emotistically said:
The problem is the folder I want to retrieve is my desktop folder, all items on the desktop are put into the folder in the trash.

Isn't there a simple restore comand. Windows has one right next to the empty the trash and also on its right click.

Maybe I should by windows xp pro and never boot onto OSX.
You just have to get used it, then everything will become simple and all come together to create one harmonious feeling, heck sometimes at school i get stuck on what to do in XP, as we've never had a PC in our home. and never will
 

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
1,153
0
mi
emotistically said:
The problem is the folder I want to retrieve is my desktop folder, all items on the desktop are put into the folder in the trash.

Isn't there a simple restore comand. Windows has one right next to the empty the trash and also on its right click.

Maybe I should by windows xp pro and never boot onto OSX.
Er, no offense, but your attitude in this thread has pretty well sucked.

Open your user account folder on your hard drive, open the new desktop folder that was created. Now open up the trash folder by clicking on it in the dock. Double click the desktop folder in the trash to see it's contents.

Drag the contents from the folder in the trash to the folder in your user directory.

Final step: don't use attitude to try to get people to help you, it just pisses them off.

And yes, I too thought this was more about dumpster diving. And if you need to use XP Pro to restore items from the hard drive, then by all means, use XP Pro. Back in OS9 (and earlier) there was a nice command to put items away, if you drug them to the trash or desktop (it was great - you could pull something to the desktop while you were working on it, and then command-y would put it back in it's folder). But it's gone now.

Moral of the story? If you're going to throw something away that you might want to later put back in it's place, either a) remember where it came from, or b) don't throw it away.