Taking to long to backup?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bluecrush, Jul 12, 2011.

1. bluecrush macrumors newbie

Okay so I have an Ipod touch 2g and the current software I have for it is 3.1.3. I am currently updating to the IOS 4.2 version and it is taking forever for the backup to complete.

The first time I tried it told me I had an error but I'm assuming that is because my computer fell asleep. I tired it again and my computer must have been on for about two hours and it was only at 1% backup. I stopped it and decided to reset my computer but still nothing. It's taking forever. I even did a backup before I chose to update the software and that only took five minutes.

Is it normally supposed to take this long to backup or am I doing something wrong?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. bluecrush thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have Windows 7.

I've read online that it can take hours and hours to backup, so I guess maybe it's normal? It is just extremely frustrating that in a span of two hours I have maybe one percent backed up.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Windows & OSX have very different file systems. Best bet would be do a DFU restore and reload from scratch.

5. bluecrush thread starter macrumors newbie

6. bluecrush thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry one more quick question, a DFU restore means putting my ipod in recovery mode correct? What exactly would that do. I apologize for all of the questions.

7. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

WOW, just take it easy! I also use Windows 7, but everything goes well with iTunes. I think you can try to uninstall your iTunes, and then restart computer, and reinstall iTunes. Connect your iPod Touch with iTunes and try to backup again. If it still be so slow, you can try to hold on the power and home button till your iPod Touch shut down, and then click Power to turn it on. And try the last time to backup. And please be patient.

8. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

DFU mode is Device Firmware Upgrade/Update. This is the proper mode for upgrading/updating. Recovery mode "is a state of iBoot that is used during standard upgrades and restores. As iBoot is active, it does not allow you to downgrade your device’s software. Also, unless it is ‘pwned,’ it will not allow custom firmware to be flashed."

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/06/recovery-mode-and-dfu-mode/

9. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

If you have an light/old PC, I could understand it taking long because of the hardware, but on a newer PC, it should not take more than say 2-5 Mins. My backup takes less than 30 seconds....