Talk about bad timing for AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sam011989, Jun 28, 2009.

1. sam011989 macrumors regular

I dont know about the rest of the country, but apparently AT&T is doing repairs and service to almost every town here in Tucson, AZ. They started doing this right at the beginning of the iPhone 3GS release.

In other words: when many people, including myself, switched from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone, we encounter crappy cellular service because as much as 12 towers in my immediate area are disconnected during these "repairs". That REALLY looks bad for AT&T considering this is the first impression I get of them. The representative did say that this is going in several places across the country so if you just switched or are a regular member and your service is suddenly crappy, just call to see about outrages and this may be the reason.

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Your mad because your service is down to make it better?

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

There is NEVER a good time for upgrades or repairs to any network

4. Kyeris macrumors 6502

For the people that didn't know there was an outage and switched to AT&T to be surprised by no service/crappy service, I can understand

5. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Why would they do it on every tower at once? Wouldn't it make sense to do it on one tower, finish, move on to the next one? Maybe set up one of thouse temp. van-towers while you're working on it?

6. mb2008 macrumors regular

Well, my Apple store in Southlake, TX was closed for the 3Gs launch! I couldn't figure out why I couldn't reserve a phone there, until I called the store.

7. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Me too, I had to go to University Park.

8. sam011989 thread starter macrumors regular

yup. I have nothing to compare the "real" AT&T service to. I dont know what they were like before these repairs started so I hope it's much better compared to what I'm experiencing now.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes. Our town went through the same thing. Pick a service you subscribe to: phone, cable tv, Internet, XM Radio, etc. Throw in a few (or more than a few) outages and would you would be satisfied? Especially in a business scenario.

For my location, the network was already 3G and they were making it "better" 3G. There was no obvious difference to end users after the upgrade. But the subcontractor had no issues rebooting towers at random instead of their prescribed schedule. You may be OK with that (and that's OK), our CIO wasn't amused when she couldn't get her e-mail wirelessly at 3 PM.

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That is the real AT&T service.:p

Just hope it doesn't last beyond the 30 day opt-out period.

11. izibo macrumors 6502

I lived in Tucson for a number of years and can say that at&t is solid. I don't think anyone in the state comes close to comparing with verizon's coverage, especially in the dinkier towns way out in the middle of nowhere, but I was happy with at&t (both on edge and later 3G)

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I was in LA (Manhattan Beach) on launch day) when I activated my new 3GS. I noticed the 3G signal was particularly weak as I usually get full bars there so I called AT&T. They told me that 12 towers were down and I was only getting signal from Orange county and North San Diego towers...I mentioned that it was a bad day for the towers to go down and he chuckled and said "you can say that again"...LOL
    Anyway, he said they would be back up by Midnight on the 20th and they were...

13. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I was in LA (Manhattan Beach) on launch day) when I activated my new 3GS. I noticed the 3G signal was particularly weak as I usually get full bars their so I called AT&T. They told me that 12 towers were down and I was only getting signal from Orange county and North San Diego towers...I mentioned that it was a bad day for the towers to go down and he chuckled and said "you can say that again"...LOL
    Anyway, he said they would be back up by Midnight on the 20th and they were...

Edit: Wow! Sorry for the double post...must've been AT&T's fault...:D

14. sam011989 thread starter macrumors regular

well no matter where you go Verizon is going to kick anyones ass. Can't really tell the difference in the large cities (except maybe in basements, brick buildings, garages, etc. where Verizon is still prevalent) but once you get to small towns then you'll notice the verizon signal. Grand canyon for instance...parts of it are owned strictly by Verizon, while most other carriers say they have "partner coverage" meaning they don't have their own towers and you're not guaranteed service. Verizon kicks anyones ass.....too bad they pissed me off

15. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Because that store is being closed permanently....as told to me by an employee.

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

seems to be going on in rochester MI as well

17. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Whatever the service is at it's worst for you... that's normal AT&T service. Sometimes they just get lucky signal boosts by sun spots on Uranus.