Talk me down.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by skiltrip, Feb 24, 2011.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Give me reasons not to return i7 iMac and get new MBP 15" 2.2GHz instead.

Ready... Go!

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Sounds like you have already have reasons of your own.

3. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Seems like you already made up your mind making a thread like this. Can't let total strangers on a message board talk you out of something.

4. flipster macrumors 6502a

Beacause unless you want an overheated aluminum block, then keep your imac. Its far superior, and a 27" 2560x1440 screen vs. a 15" 1440x900 display.. well... ill let you decide.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

down boy down ... and take your laptop with you

can't beat Apple to go

6. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Thunderstruck is, in the real world, a waste of time. You'll never use/need it.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Never is a mighty strong word for a technology just released.

8. flipster macrumors 6502a

Currently, it supports nothing. In a year, it will be supported by many products. Technology advances and grows faster than our wallets can keep up with it lol, give it time

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeh by the time thunderbolt picks up support another upgrade or two will made.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

11. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Ahh! Someone willing to play along. People get too serious on these threads.

My reasons I've come up with to keep the iMac, and I'm keeping it. Are.

27", nuff said.

Just finished setting it all up, installing everything, and it works.

Laptops make me screw around and surf the web on my couch instead of doing real work in my studio, at my desk.

Like above, the only real work I've gotten done on my old MBP is when I had it "docked" on my desk.

MBPs get noisy when the fans kick on. And they always do when you're processing audio and have three devices on the FireWire chain.

I like my iMac. Did I mention the 27 inches of heaven?

I'm sure theres more I'm forgetting.

12. room271 macrumors member

The 27inch display is fantastic and would cost you £1000 alone for one of comparable quality.

If you ever find you need portability just buy a cheap netbook too and put ubuntu on it. Or buy an iPad (grrr - personally not a fan but...). For just browing the internet/checking emails a phone will do the trick.

13. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah. My iPod touch pretty much fills my mobile browsing and email needs.

I started out last year convinced I'd never get a desktop computer again. But since I got the iMac I like having a "permanent" recording setup again. meaning if I wanted to quickly track something, mix something down, or whatever, there's no more... "crap. The MBP is upstairs". Got get it. Bin it downstairs, plug in everything (monitor, USB stuff, FireWire stuff). Then... "crap the power adapter is still upstairs".

It's no nearly as dramatic as that. But there's somethin to be said for just powering on and going when it's time for making music.

I do miss the opportunity to mix music on the couch, but I honestly barely ever did that anyway when I had my 13".

I think maybe later in the year, when the base 13" hits the refurb store I'll think about tacking on a laptop for a mobile extension rig.