talk me into the i7!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsBestFriend, Jun 17, 2010.

1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

hey everyone, so i am going to get a new mbp soon for school. i dont feel like i need the i7 and the half hour of battery life lost if bothering me. but if i get it with the hi-res antiglare it should use less power since i can turn the screen down more, right?

i'm going to use the computer for photoshop, final cut, and autocad (through bootcamp) a third of the time, the rest being cod, x-plane, music, and internet. i don't let my computer leave my side.

i'm making the right choice, right? :eek:
    i just want to feel confident before forking down $2200 (student discount :D) on a computer, moving up from my moms '09 imac occasionally and a $400 acer i bought three years ago.

i have wanted a mac for years, and now i have enough saved and money isn't a problem, expect a grand for the ssd ;)

thanks!

2. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I would love to talk you out of i7 but... I believe you have already answered yourself that question...

3. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

why do you want to talk me out of it? do you think that for what i'm using it for it will be worth it?

4. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Regular users who check mails, browse the web, probably some minor photo or video editing - the i5 is plentiful... but if you're into heavy video editing and rendering which I assume you will on Final Cut, plus the fact that you're gonna use AutoCAD on BootCamped Windows, I believe you're gonna utilise a huge external monitor for that...? i7 will shave a few seconds off your work, probably hours in the long run, while a 512MB VRAM will benefit if you use a huge monitor with big-ass resolution. Right now the only MBP that comes with both i7 and 512MB VRAM is a stock 15" high-end or a BTO 17" MBP...

5. blackwind macrumors regular

hehehe I have 2 reasons for u.

1 Life is too short (way too short), Buy it and enjoy it.
    2 Buy it and show off to your friend (Live your life to the max while u can)

Cheers

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Don't do it. The only noticeable difference you'll see with the i7 is slightly lower battery life.

7. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

no, haha. at school i work on a 21 and 18's. my mom and i may go halves on a new monitor and xbox depending on my final grades. i actually have a regents exam in under twelve hours. :D

i actually haven't used final cut before :eek: i do a lot of youtube editing though and thought that imovie wasn't enough, and the school gives out free educational copies for my studio in video coarse this fall. :)

8. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

what about gaming?

9. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

i also just checked the apple store again. with the education discount, its only a $50 dollar difference, versus the $200 normally. it seems like a good deal!

10. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Almost nil

11. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Then you are better off with an i5... Enjoy that until school life's out, when you get into working life, you can fling your money whichever way you like on whatever Apple has to offer in the future... For now the price of an i7 can be saved for something else...

12. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

13. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

i have a hook up- im good on that :cool::p:eek::eek:;)

14. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

money isn't necessarily a problem. i have 2700 to put towards a computer and half an xbox/tv. theres another 800 in the bank, and after next summers work (this years pay go towards my new snowboard) i will have about $3000 towards my dorm room in college. ikea can do the rest :D

15. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Not that we've really had a decent benchmark to test 256MB vs 512MB. Barefeats' test was laughable at best.

16. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I was referring to the effect of the i7 over the i5. The VRAM would only come into effect if the OP was talking about the 15" MBP, but he didn't state whether he was looking at the 15 or 17. Even if VRAM is a consideration, the 256 vs 512 debate has been beaten to death, and the bottom line is: the 330m isn't powerful enough to play games at a detail level where the extra 256mb would be useful. There are some scenarios to the contrary, but they're rare.

17. Reapur macrumors regular

7 is a bigger number than 5 therefore better... wait thats right isnt it guys?

18. sadcamper macrumors regular

Agreed. :D

Seriously though, whichever you get, you won't notice any difference because you have nothing to compare it to. I only got the i7 because it was in-stock in-store...otherwise I would have been perfectly content with the i5.

19. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

what are you using it for?

for everyone else, i meant the 15 incher, sorry.

20. sadcamper macrumors regular

Similar to what you're using it for - Aperature, various Adobe apps, but mostly everyday things.

21. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

did you by any chance go with a hi-res screen, too?

22. Reapur macrumors regular

High res is the way to go, the standard res screen is for blind people.

23. sadcamper macrumors regular

I got the 17", so by deafult, yes. If I were to buy the 15", I would have gone hi-res though...the font size doesn't bother me, and the picture looks much more crips (to my eyes). I also went with anti-glare.

24. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

i5 is more than enough even for Photoshop.. Never used Autocad so no comments! Imo the only visible difference will be Video editing!
    And then I do like I do not like's idea..