Talk me off the (headphone) ledge...

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Perhaps a little dramatic.

I know this is probably a stupid question but I’m still thinking about it. iPhone 7 in perfect shape. Purchase third party headphones because mine crapped out mid trip. Used a number of times with the phone, no problem. Driving, have to take a call, realize these headphones have a microphone, use them on call.

Next time I go to use the headphone jack the sound works for a few seconds and then stops. Comes out of the phone’s speakers only. Try a bunch of headphones, cleaning, resetting, backing up and took it to the geniuses. Nothing worked. I could occasionally get five seconds or less. Ultimately I plug these headphones in again and press the call disconnect button and the sound works through the headphones again for a brief period of time. Then dies.

So, I now have a new iPhone and figure this is probably the iPhone 7 corroding issue. However now I’m a little nervous to use TPHs on my new phone. But I hate those white things.

Please tell me I’m crazy. Gently. Please tell me this is a coincidence and nothing more. And my tin foil hat is pretty. And I can use other headphones without worry.

Thank you.

Reactions: AngerDanger

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Headphone adapter. I tried a few of them including a new one at the Apple Store. That wasn’t it. Tried headphones with the lighting connection, wasn’t it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Headphone adapter. I tried a few of them including a new one at the Apple Store. That wasn’t it. Tried headphones with the lighting connection, wasn’t it.
Have you tried cleaning out the lightning port in the phone?

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Yup. Cleaned it of debris and also with the smallest amount of alcohol. No dice.

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Thanks for the suggestions. I did - they said it was done. I’m just trying to determine if third party headphones can somehow damage the port either from a hardware (unlikely because I was using the adapter?) or a software perspective...

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I've got an iPhone 7 Plus. I've been using third party headphones (1More Triple Driver, Etymotic ER3XR, Shure SE215) using the adapter since September 2016. The only issue I had was solved by replacing the adapter ($9, free shipping from Apple), and that was last month.

Your issue is simply bad luck - sorry about that.

But that is a very pretty tinfoil hat you've got there.

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
Perhaps a little dramatic.

I know this is probably a stupid question but I’m still thinking about it. iPhone 7 in perfect shape. Purchase third party headphones because mine crapped out mid trip. Used a number of times with the phone, no problem. Driving, have to take a call, realize these headphones have a microphone, use them on call.

Next time I go to use the headphone jack the sound works for a few seconds and then stops. Comes out of the phone’s speakers only. Try a bunch of headphones, cleaning, resetting, backing up and took it to the geniuses. Nothing worked. I could occasionally get five seconds or less. Ultimately I plug these headphones in again and press the call disconnect button and the sound works through the headphones again for a brief period of time. Then dies.

So, I now have a new iPhone and figure this is probably the iPhone 7 corroding issue. However now I’m a little nervous to use TPHs on my new phone. But I hate those white things.

Please tell me I’m crazy. Gently. Please tell me this is a coincidence and nothing more. And my tin foil hat is pretty. And I can use other headphones without worry.

Thank you.
Have you tried a completely new set of headphones with a new adapter? Could go wireless...

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Tried a new set with a new adaptor and a set that didn’t require the adaptor. Didn’t work.

And I thought about wireless but, tin foil hat.

Reactions: cdcastillo

PKoz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2017
Tried a new set with a new adaptor and a set that didn’t require the adaptor. Didn’t work.

And I thought about wireless but, tin foil hat.
That's very odd. A long time ago when the AirPods first released I'd be talking on the phone while walking home and the AirPods would lose the connection with the iPhone 7plus. No matter what I did this was constant and no one else seemed to be having the problem. I searched for anyone else having this problem for months. I even switched to wired headphones for a while. After a long while, I discovered there was a problem with the other Bluetooth devices, named these little tracking tiles called Tile. I had several of these and they worked with Bluetooth. I got rid of them from my iPhone and I got rid of a BASE headphone app. After that, the AirPods never gave me a problem again.

If your problem follows you from one device to another, perhaps it isn't the hardware. Perhaps it is some combination of software you have that is causing a conflict of some kind, like my Tiles.

If you have friends with an iPhone, test the cable and the headphones on their phone, if they are willing.