Talk me off the ledge - Someone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ct1211, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ct1211 macrumors 6502

So I know it will more than likely be about a year before we see full next gen MacBook "Pro" Retina computers. I have a late 2013 rMBP 8GB/256GB that I run Parallels along with a work program. With not a lot open I am running out of RAM all the time now. So I am going to order a 2015 13" rMBP with 16GB and perhaps the 512 HD, I am very tempted to just go all out and get the i7 processor meaning I am spending $2400 (with tax) for a 13" laptop. Granted, I travel a lot and my computer gets used all day every day. Anyone think this is a crazy move? I'm going to call this "Spinning Ball Syndrome" SBS for short! :rolleyes:

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Might as well just get the 15" at that point. You can get all that stuff, with a quad core processor instead of dual core AND a better GPU for 2000. If you can wait a few months for broadwell on the 15", that would be even better.

3. tylerwatt12 macrumors regular

4. ct1211 thread starter macrumors 6502

I travel by air for work extensively. I tried a 15" rMBP a couple of years ago. They don't fit on tray tables on planes and it's too heavy to lug around. I have to have 13" (Hopefully a 14" rMBP next year that is under 3 lbs)

I have a work program that needs windows and rebooting has always been a hassle. I am also thinking I could almost get away with that new Macpad if I just run windows on it but 12" is just too small for fine editing in PhotoShop and other CS work.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There is nothing wrong with your current rMBP.

Free RAM values are meaningless and irrelevant. The only relevant thing when measuring RAM is RAM pressure.

I've got a late-2013 13" rMBP (i7/16/512) and when comparing it to a friend's late-2013 13" (2.4/8/256) under the same workload (VMware with Windows 8, 4GB RAM assigned to it), I'm hard-pressed to find the difference, unless Photoshop is also open at the same time in OS X.

6. ct1211 thread starter macrumors 6502

You hit the nail on the head!! My first Mac was the 2011 AIR that was finally fast enough for regular workloads. with 4GB RAM I had no problems with parallels running unless I opened say a PS.

Now, many times I do have Acrobat professional, PowerPoint, PS and maybe Fireworks plus a proprietary program from my company that powers a SIP phone interface and a full school Emergency Notification/paging system we sell for client demos. My RAM runs down to 0% several times a day but putting that aside I have real issues. Programs freeze, lock ups and spinning beachballs. These are relevant problems to me. I think I'm ready to try an i7 16GB and see how it all works. Also the faster Read/Writes should be a benefit.