Talk me out of the MacBook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shamash, May 21, 2015.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 15". It's powerful, it's useful. I don't really take it out of my apartment often. I have an iMac at work, and I have a DIY gaming desktop at my apartment with the Macbook.

The fact that this little bugger comes in gold REALLY makes me want it though. I love how thin and small it is. The problem is, I feel like I'll never use it since I have so many computers that are all more powerful. I also have an iPad that I never use, because I use my laptop instead.

So what are the biggest reasons to avoid the MacBook? Please talk me into at least waiting a generation.

2. jeffg819 macrumors regular

Sorry, can't help you.

Retired a 2011 iMac and purchased a 4k monitor to make a 2013 rMBP the house desktop.

Enjoying ever minute of the rMB for the things I use it for. It's actually "snappy" in my day to day work (which includes using Quicken 2015 in a Win 8.1 Parallels vm).

Good luck!

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The reason to not get it is that you aren't the target customer. If you don't take it out of the apartment why do you need a laptop which the primary goal is portability.

Don't buy it, you have no need for it.

4. Leeabe macrumors member

This. You have no need for one. It's a great little machine, but the biggest thing is that's it is good on the go. If you would rather use a full size laptop instead of your iPad even for couch browsing, then I can't even recommend it for that.

If you get it, once the neat factor wears off you will regret it. The coolness of the gold will only last so long.

Save your money, in time we may see the colors on the other models. A SG rMBP would be sweet.

5. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I'll help you out. You have a powerful gaming desktop and a MacBook Pro which you don't take out of the house and an iPad. You'd be unlikely to take this one out of the house as well if you don't take your iPad out of the house or take your MacBook Pro out of the house. While you're at home you might use it a little bit, but being home you'd probably be on your gaming desktop machine or using your other Mac. Sure you might get a little bit of use out of it but not enough to warrant a purchase at the least of 1299 not getting a lot of resale value out of your MBP which is more powerful than the rMB. It's a phenomenal machine for what it is but doesn't warrant a purchase if you don't take it out of the house and you already have a MBP, iPad, and gaming desktop. I'm thinking the next gen rMBP's will be a redesign when Intel's new Skylake processors come out in August I expect a redesign sometime after that with the gold, slate grey, and silver option. To make it thinner just as they did with the rMB they'll take the backlight out. I'd bet that they want uniformity/consistency across the models. Save your money.

6. Axeros, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015

Axeros macrumors member

Reasons to wait

- Skylake: Intel is reported to be moving extremely fast with the Skylake tock - e.g. see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)

An unusual feature of Skylake's release timing is that it follows very closely on the release of its predecessor, Broadwell, which had suffered from launch delays.[30] Intel commented in 2014 that moving from 22 nm (Haswell) to 14 nm (Broadwell) had been "their most difficult process to develop yet", causing Broadwell's planned launch to slip by several months;[31] yet, the 14 nm production was back on track and in full production as of Q3 2014.§​

If this is the case, we could see a Skylake rMB much sooner than expected.

- Intel's whole strategy with Skylake is to make laptops wireless - and WiGig is a key component of it. A Skylake rMB with WiGig, would have an elegant solution to its lack of ports. This is Intel's stated strategy to removing wired connections from laptops (e.g. to the monitor) , and as such the rMB's connectivity shortcomings would be resolved.

- Skylake is reported to bring Thunderbolt and wireless charging support for mobile processors.

- IF either of these made it into a rMB 2.1 then it would be far more interesting. A one port rMP with wireless charging would make sense: but I don't see how wireless charging could work with the metal case.

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

This is easy: If top Apple developer hates it,then perhaps you should also avoid?

"The keyboard: “The MacBook’s keyboard is not good.”
    The trackpad: “It is also not good.”
    The processing power: “This is not a fast machine.”
    The overall usability: “I just hate using it.”

http://bgr.com/2015/05/20/apple-2015-macbook-review-marco-arment/

8. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

This one is funny, it's the first review I've read that is so scathing. Most reviews seem to be very positive.

Above: Thanks for the Skylake info. That makes me really hopeful for Gen 2.

Needs are constantly changing. I used to need to get out with my computer more often, and I had a Macbook Air. I sold it and the pro is simply too heavy to take with me. I think I would take the MacBook out more often if I had it.

Honestly, I'd love to retire the 2011 MBP. It's actually an old computer of my dad's, and while it works well enough, I am in constant fear of the GPU failing and a 4 year old machine gets outdated very quickly.

Thanks EVERYONE for the input. I really just have an itch to get a new toy. Perhaps I'll wait and see if the Apple Watch goes on sale in Taiwan soon. Although I'm sure plenty of people would say that is a less useful buy than the rMB haha.

9. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Without reading this thread at all op talk yourself out of it.

If tempted buy and figure it out within the return policy.

10. junkw macrumors regular

His opinion is just 1 opinion out of 7 billion humans.

11. troubleonline macrumors 65816

troubleonline

But it's gold! :D

Get it and sell the iPad if you don't use that much!

12. tillsbury macrumors 65816

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I might talk you into it. The best laptop is the one you have with you and this little baby will be with you far more often, I think you'll find it replaces your ipad for many things.

14. Kiwi 99 macrumors regular

Kiwi 99

This.
    Buy it.
    And skylake isn't here, only a bunch of promises. This MacBook is here. I vote buy it.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you like the color Gold is what you are basing your wants on?:rolleyes:

16. hangkous macrumors member

Buy v2 with better specs for less money. Safe the money you have now for that and buy Apple stock for price difference.

17. SHNXX macrumors 68000

What kind of people are the target customers for these?
    Executives who fly often?
    Surely the lack of ports would limit use on the road.

18. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

when i'm out (not travelling per se, just at a coffeebar, etc), i don't need any ports. at home, i have a usb hub (external drives, usb audio, etc).

it's just a great, basic mac. not something for video editing or audio work, but for email, web, writing, organizing, watching netflix...it's great.

small & light (especially running around nyc with a backpack) works.

19. gooser macrumors 6502a

let's see now. buying a computer because you like the color. i've done that before. so now i find out there's another "me" out there.

20. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you need total strangers on the internet to tell you what to do...then you need hep. This isn't a popular answer, but it's your life and your money. Why are you asking others to tell you WHY NOT to do something? It's ridiculous.

21. cmagno macrumors newbie

You really need to ask yourself what the fundamental purpose of your machine will be. If your computer rarely leaves your desk, you're much better off with one of the new MBP's. But if you do any amount of travel (including traveling from your desk to your couch) the rMB is a revelation. It's just so easy to carry, you don't even think about not bringing it.

22. danniexi macrumors 6502

it's a matter of need vs. want.

I have a fully specced late 09' 27" iMac at home and a base mid-2011 13" Macbook Air that is at work (and comes home with me during the weekends). On top of that, I also have an iPad Air as well as an iPhone 6+. I have enough computing power to do whatever the work I can throw at it.

But I, too, want the new Macbook. I won't get one though since I really don't need it. It's all about compromises and something only you can figure out on your own. If you feel as if you need an upgrade and you can justify the price, then by all means, go for it.

Personally, I don't find the need to buy one just yet. I am the perfect user for the new Macbook (non-power user, favor mobility over compute power), but my current 13" has been working absolutely perfect ever since the day I got it. There has never been any issue with each OS X upgrade (no lag or slowdowns) and all of the new features (Continuity/Handoff) has worked without a hitch.

I simply can't justify the price of the Macbook. Once the second iteration comes out (assuming it's a simply spec-bump), I am hoping the price drops down as well. Only then will I invest in a new Macbook (all the while selling both my iPad, Macbook Air, and possibly my old 27" iMac which I hardly ever use anymore).

23. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Yes (raises hand) executives who fly often. The thing is ridiculously lightweight, incredibly thin, has a power brick that isn't a brick, add it all up and its no heavier than an iPad in a backpack. It's a traveling businessman's dream.

The lack of ports are solved with a $79 adapter, I can connect to Ethernet and connect to a flat screen TV to run my Slingbox in HD in a hotel room in China, Go Rangers, that's nirvana for me. The dongles will get smaller, the accessories will too, it's all good.

The other thing you're about to notice: A lot of traveling executives who use Windows are going to find this the perfect replacement for their beloved Sony VAIO Z series which just got nuked. That's me. I'm running Windows 8, haven't touched OSX at all and don't intend to. Except maybe for FaceTime which would make it easier for the kids to say hello 12 hours away.

See, hardcore Apple fans may be turned off by this machine but hardcore businessmen and Windows fans are ecstatic. It's Christmas for us.

BJ

24. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I'm also a traveling "businessman" in China but I'm worried that the power will be totally anemic...

25. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Not sure what you mean by "power". Are you talking about processing power for hardcore apps like for audio/video media creation and gaming? If so, you're probably right but that's what a desktop computer is for.

Your road companion should be thin and light. The MacBook isn't a computer; it's a travel accessory.

BJ