Talk tO text

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mikky05v, Aug 18, 2011.

1. mikky05v macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

My droid has a function built In that allows for speech to text right from the keyboard. I can use it with the browser or testing or pretty much anything. Does the iPhone have anything like this or is their an app I can get?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

dragon dictation

lets you talk once the app displays the text you have a few built in options like sms, post on facebook, or twitter or email(i believe)

3. mikky05v thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

But there isn't anything that just allows you to reply to a text or something without any extra typing? Or do a google search? Mine just has a little mic button on the keyboard so anytime I'm typing I can talk instead.

4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I have this too. It works really well, provided you speak clearly into the phone. Great for use when driving, I haven't tested it with a bluetooth headset yet. It'll be interesting to see how the performance is affected.

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

apple is implementing it as we speak. possibly in time for an iOS 5 launch. For now dragon has a few apps that work well.

6. cdustybk macrumors member

Agreed. It is already in the beta code...however, it may or may not be release with iOS 5. I'm about 99.999% sure it will be here before/with iOS 5.1 though.
    Until then, Dragon Dictation is what I use when I drive...if only it let you actually SEND an SMS by speaking...

I'm sure you already knew this, but there is VoiceOver, but not exactly what you're looking for. I only use it when I want to call someone or start a song (basically all it's good for).