Talkatone & Att Charging Minutes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JavierDiaz4, Apr 29, 2013.

1. JavierDiaz4 macrumors member

I've decided to try out Talkatone so that I can eventually adopt a $30 prepaid plan with TMobile and use their Unlimited Data/Text plan in conjunction with Talkatone. Unfortunately, at first I was content with ATT deducting 1 minute for each Call Forward from my # to Google Voice which I then picked up with Talkatone. I really wish there was a work around this. Butttttttt, now I see ATT starting to sporadically charge up minutes for that same forwarded call that I picked up through VOIP on Talkatone and the length of that call. Again it's sporadic but now it sticks out like a sore thumb, you'll see CF 1 for an entire page and then the 12 or 20 minute call here and there stand out. Anyone else experiencing this? I hope it's not a Talkatone bug and if I do switch to TMobile that it wont become an issue? Anyone tried MO+?

2. 617aircav Suspended

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have a data only sim in my 4S and use talkatone. Works pretty well and they can't charge me a minute for using it.

4. JavierDiaz4 thread starter macrumors member

You mind letting me know how you set yours up? Did you port over your # or are you fwd your calls through google voice then picking up on talkatone?

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Talkatone works with Google Voice. When someone calls my GV #, my 4S rings through Talkatone. Text messages come through as well.

6. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this +1

7. 617aircav Suspended

I don't see you can rely on talktone only. The quality is just not that good.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's horrible quality but it works for when I need it for my job where an occasional 10 second call is good enough.

I always have another phone with me with a read sim card that can make calls but there are times when I don't want to use it.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

AT&T did this same thing to me calling Hungary using Skype. I posted about it and people called me crazy. The rep was very helpful. She got $250 in international calls down to $50 and told me to use airplane mode when calling on Skype. This is what I do now. $7 buys me unlimited minutes to Hungary. It's a huge shame AT&T pulls this crap. I'm not even trying to use their service or anything. I am shocked they don't try and charge me data fees while I am on my home wifi if they are willing to do this...

10. JavierDiaz4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for all of your replies. :)

The most obvious choice would be to make the GV my prime # to eliminate the FWD charges. Still not sure obviously if that will stop ATT from throwing in charges using their # as it seems they are doing at the moment. Nonetheless, doing the aforementioned, it defeats the purpose of me avoiding ETF from ATT while I test the waters to see if I can rely on TalkaTone with the Prepaid TMobile 30$ Unlimited Data and Text W/ 100 min talk, while depending on Talkatone for Voice. As some of you mentioned, even that is not recommended. Talkatone definitely has it's limitations. Yesterday I used it all afternoon and had to discontinue my call quite often as the other person on the other end was complaining of poor call quality, even while I was on 4G/Wifi. The ringing only once on vibrate is also another issue as you may miss the call entirely. I've tried Vonage and MO+ and while ATT doesnt capture those calls as they are doing with Talkatone, the apps have even more limitations and the quality of the call suffers as well. Seems I'm stuck in getting a TMobile Plan if I decide to explore the uncarrier strategies many of you are exploring. The Talkatone + Tmobile Prepaid wont work for me.

11. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

instead of going through alllllll that trouble can you not just afford another $15 and go with GoSmart mobile? It will give you the same T-Mobile Experience (minus the LTE) with added UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT and 5GB Data....

12. JavierDiaz4 thread starter macrumors member

Totally going to look into that alternative Satnam. Thanks a million. Let me do some research now. Thanks again.:D:D:D

13. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Np, also if you have a iPhone 5 from AT&T get it replaced (come up with any reason thats believable and go visit a Genius) to take advantage of Full T-Mobile 1700 coverage area.

You can purchase 1 month GoSmart from eBay for $39 that includes the SIM card (the guy will cut it to fit your iPhone[call him after placing order] - whatever model you have-Sorry if I didn't read your whole post lol). Let me know how it goes.