talked to a genius about battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 30, 2011.

1. himynameiscody, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i had restored my phone prior to coming in so he couldn't do whatever test he wanted....but he was like you have apps running in the background, i said i took off location, he said but they're running. i said i thought part of the iphone was that you don't need to close every app. he didn't really reply....then he points out the app words with friends, then i'm like click it i'm not in a game, or even signed in at all..again he is speechless...then he points my 19 total apps and says if could be all these apps you have...19 is a lot?!!?!?! he also says my push mail was on....I DON'T HAVE AN EMAIL EVEN HOOKED UP TO IT, he says it still will drain battery

is this guy right or a complete dummy?

anyways since i restored it as a new phone then put my contacts back on with icloud, and my apps back on with itunes this is my usage...does it look right?

[​IMG]

2. Bronken macrumors member

Bronken

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use 50% of my battery in approx 3h so its very good

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

He's full of it. I have iCloud enabled, Wifi & Bluetooth always on, one Exchange & one IMAP email, *and* WordsWithfriends. I had done a clean install on my 4S rather than restore from backup, but no telling if that had an effect.

Seems like you may have a rogue app or a corrupt contact or something, but what the Genius told you is rubbish.

Attached Files:

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

5.5-7 hours is pretty good for usage time, and it looks like that is what the OP is on track for.

About what I get, this is old, probably around iOS5 b4-6

I've done restores from backup since iOS4, through every beta iteration of iOS 5, b2 on.

Push mail, google exchange, contacts, cal, etc, beejive push, word w/ friends push, other app push, etc.
    Push sips batt. it's non issue for the benefit you gain.

no bluetooth, but wifi on all the time.

[​IMG]

5. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Sadly, "Genius" does not accurately describe the Apple technicians mental capacity.

7. alphaex32 macrumors newbie

I had a very similar situation at the genius bar when I went in for my 4S battery issues. I had literally 4 apps installed at the time (two of which used notifications), and after looking at my phone the genius says "well of course youre battery is draining, look at all these apps!" I actually laughed because I didnt think he could possibly be serious....he was. After explaining how ridiculous he was, I convinced him to give me a replacement. The new one seems somewhat better but still not nearly as good as my iphone 4. Here's hoping for a software fix soon.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The same battery complaints with the iPhone 4 when it came out. I am sure that in the months ahead we will get an update or two to make battery use more efficient.

My iP4 is not doing quite as good as my 4 but it is close considering the amount I am playing with it. I still have 50-60% at the end of the day and deal with 50-60 emails/texts and use 2000 minutes a month. Mail is polling every 15 minutes.

No complaints here.

9. MDTyKe macrumors regular

I'm also getting dire battery. It's midday, I left the house at 9am.. and I'm half way down. That's just with music, and checking Maps a few times..

M

Attached Files:

10. Sweetfeld28, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I can't for the life of me remember where I read this, but some people had it pin pointed it to the location services. In the article they stated that when they deactivated some of those services, battery life improved.

I wish I could remember where I read this. Sorry I can't help more.

Found it: Link

Another link: Lifehacker

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

I think its the notifications that causing the problem.

12. Sweetfeld28, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

If it was, wouldn't the iPhone 4's [with iOS 5] have the same issue? I haven't noticed any issues, like everyone else seems to be having with the 4S.

I was away this weekend, and didn't bring my charger with me and my battery lasted for two days.

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I agree and ad, it doesn't accurately describe their technical skills either.

Fortunately in the Apple store closest to me, I have a great rapport with the lead genius. He lacks Apples arrogance, and instead is a very nice, very intelligent person. He knows his technology well and solves problems quickly, professionally and takes a few extra minutes to insure customers are respected & feel appreciated.

As a result this Apple store has a massive number of regular customers, droves of new ones, and great moral amongst all employees. It's amazing what's possible when you get a good group of employees all working on behalf of the customer.

14. applematic macrumors newbie

Have you guys tried disabling the weather and stocks widgets in notification center? I'm just on a 4 but that dramatically increased my battery life.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Also, there are Mophie and other battery cases. They make the iP4S huge, but at least they protect the phone.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If this thing can't run two widgets, apples in for a rude awakening if it ever increases the screen size or adds real 4G/LTE.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

It isn't widgets. I get solid battery life and don't have all this stuff turned off.

There's clearly an issue affecting a bunch of people, but there are also way too many people not having any troubles for it to be something inherent.

18. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

This is an issue...though I wish it was just speculation by Apple naysayers...(that is what I bought it was before I got my 4S). 3 days since I have had the phone, I have observed that the battery dies even before a day! In fact, I was on call with Apple explaining the issue to them....9 minutes on call with them and the battery drops 14% during the call!!! It is frustrating when the Apple "geniuses" offer solutions which involve restarting the phone, resetting the network settings and the best of all...switch of all notifications, wifi and location services. Yeah...right...did I just pay 1000 bucks for a Nokia 3310 ?

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This.

My money is on some iCloud glitch that affects some people.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Never said people weren't having any issues, my post was in response to the fella who said he disabled widgets and poof, much better life. It still puzzles me that if it's deemed a software issue, we should all be having it. Why would it glitch on certain phones and not all? You would think then it would be a hardware issue then since it isn't happening on all handsets. Apples silence has me a little concerned, because I envision them with the 4 telling me I'm holding it wrong (hardware issue), for them to come back with the 4s and tell me to turn off A,B,C,D and E. Then I'll be handing them the phone back.

You would think they should be able to get a response/fix in the 30days post launch or extend peoples return window. It's a phone that took them 16mos to produce which amounted to a iPad 2 chip, a spec bump in the camera, Siri (Beta), and iOS 5. I can see this happening on Samsung or HTC which pump out phones like turds through a goose, but on a single piece of hardware which you produce every 16mos in which you control the software that goes into it directly?

Or

They need to do a better job of weeding out app developers and granting them a request to use LOC services but really don't need them. Cause that may be part of the problem as well.

21. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

nah...I restored the phone to factory settings to confirm this suspicion...The phone still leaks power...Like someone already said, this could be related to the iCloud feature set...

22. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

The thing that helped my battery was that one of my apps (OKCupid) was using the GPS even when I was not in the app. I could tell because the GPS icon was on all the time, then when going through the location services, that app had a blue gps icon next to it.. disabling it turned it off and the icon went away... and batter improved.

Also beejive seems to eat my battery.. so i log out unless i need it.

I have a charger at work and an extended battery case if I need it. :) Any smartphone I've ever had (iphone or android) never lasts all day unless I don't use it.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Can you try disabling iCloud to see what that does?

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Was just a thought. But see that's the thing, there are so many friggin angles to this. Sure anything you shut off is bound to have a positive impact on your battery, but people are claiming numerous different things have "solved" the problem. Is iOS 5 that buggy? Who knows?