Talked to AT&T for Tether Rates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaGreat01, Jun 18, 2009.

1. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Ok so i got tethering to work on my phone last night and tested it by opening safari (the apple home page came up), then came to iphone macrumor forums.

Then i thought to myself, "AT&T must be charging people for this".
    So this morning i called AT&T and asked if i would be charged for tethering and he said "Yes you will, 49 cents per KB"

So there you have it...

2. hellrider macrumors regular

How are we expected to believe this? It makes some sense, but still...

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

there's not going to be any real way to tell unless maybe you download a few movies via the tethered connection? use sparingly?

4. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

OMG we're SO busted! :rolleyes:

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

forgive me if i dont believe a member who has joined only a week ago

just sayin

49 cents a kb is crazy

6. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Im just saying what he told me...take it or leave it...

7. sublimespot macrumors newbie

so with an average page size of 100K, thats only about $5 per web page you bring up.

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

So tell me my math is wrong.

.49*1024kb (1MB) = $501

9. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

They can tell. The iPhone may be providing the connection, but your computer still has to send out the request for the website.

10. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I think he meant $0.00048/KB. That's the overflowrate for their PDA plus Tethering package.

11. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

They may have meant per kBite and not kbit. Big difference there of a factor of 8.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

which requests that the iphone make the request which is the same as iphone data

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

wat?

14. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

What's the data charge on ATT for a non-data plan phone? I thought it was around $0.08/KB or something like that... it was ridiculous since you could easily rack up a multi-thousand dollar bill.

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Please don't spread misinformation. I have used tethering on all my smartphones with AT&T and never paid extra for their tethering plan. I just use it sparingly.
    Most all phones have a way to "unlock" tethering without paying for it. The iPhone is not doing anything new. AT&T can't tell (or doesn't care) what you're doing until you abuse it, then you'll get charged for excessive use.

$.49 a KB? That AT&T rep had no clue...

16. chattermark macrumors member

I have been tethering on my Fuze for over a year. I have never been charged for doing that. I just go to sites and check my email or do some research on the road. Total misinformation. <M>

17. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I know with a JB phone and tethering I haven't had any problems... but is there a chance that using Apple's tethering program, can somehow notifying ATT that the data being used is for tethering? I guess I'm not that knowledgeable about data transfer and internet protocol.

Otherwise if they can't tell, other than your data usage (megabytes), then you shouldn't have any problems.

18. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Other than being against the terms and conditions, I think it'll be pretty obvious if you are abusing the tethering. The tether limit is 5GB per month. Which a lot of people consider too small. Well I have had my 3G for 6 months and have just now got over 5GB in 6 months (and I have to recharge the battery twice a day to keep up with my web browsing). So I'm averaging less than a GB per month on my iPhone and then all of the sudden go up to 3-5GB per month, AT&T may notice. This is the log from my phone. I'm at home which explains the WiFi, but I never use it outside my home. Plus the log only logs cellular data transfer.

Attached Files: