Talking on the Phone - Top Speaker = too quiet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by salilsundresh, Oct 17, 2007.

1. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

I've noticed that the speaker on the top of my iPhone (the one you put to your ear) is very quiet. The other speaker and headphone output seem fine, but this one is just not loud enough. Is this normal? I had it at max volume...so I had to put it on speaker phone. Not cool. Any ideas? I'm on 1.0.2 firmware.

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I had that problem when I was on 1.0.2 but the firmware update to 1.1.1 solved the problem for me.
    I guess it was a flaw which many handsets had and then updating the software seemed to improve matters.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

My experience is that the earpiece is very directional and has a definite sweet spot, outside of which, volume is reduced considerably. Make double sure you're holding the phone with the earpiece directly over your ear opening and not pressed against the lobe...there's not a ton of room for error. Also don't hesitate to push the phone nice and flat against your ear.

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Well I totally agree that the ear speaker is very, very weak. The update helped but only made normal call experience OK as long as the volume was max. Now it's OK, not great after the update. The speakerphone still sucks. System wide the volume on this phone isn't great imo.

5. krazym0fo08 macrumors newbie

i agree. is there any way to make this volume louder? I have a lot of trouble hearing, when i'm outside and people are around.

6. mackk macrumors member

I thought my speaker was weak. Turns out it just still had the protective film over it. I cut a hole around the home key, but never thought to cut one for the speaker.

7. mets1125 macrumors regular

Totally agree with everything you said. I really hope v2 this problem is solved

8. mets1125 macrumors regular

9. artemka macrumors member

ok i've just found out this today. under the Home buttom where the usb plug goes there are two speakers, and i put it close to my ear today, i've put one of ringtones to play and left speaker seems to work alright but right one doesn't make any sound. DOes anyone know if that suppose to be like that?

10. oxeneers macrumors member

One on the right is the microphone.