Talking seriously about the iphone 3g after having it since it came out.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryanhdd, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

Ok so i am going to talk seriously about my opinion of this device. I have had it from the day it came out and well its a great device that really falls short as a phone. I know I will get a lot of flack from others here but i wanted to find out who else feels the same. I mean yes this phone does a lot of really nice things that others (as of right now in the US) do not do. But as a phone and i do believe that problem falls with AT&T its no good. My call clarity sucks and i am in a good 3g service area most of the time. It always has a fuzzy sound whenever I talk on it. It does drop calls even when I am in a full bar 3g area. I have had other cell phones in my life and have never had these problems. I know what most people are thinking here, why did you get the phone and if you are not happy with it then get something else. Well that's good and all, But my point is, why even sell a phone that works like that., its simply not right. Do not get me wrong here I do like the phone and all it can do . I do hate that it does not do pict messages, and we all know about that. But seriously i just cannot believe the service from AT&T its horrid. I am hoping that it will get better but that seems like hoping for pict messaging on the iphone along with an apple copy paste. Yes i had to throw those in here. And i know all the arguments for both sides here. i have had a good amount of time to test out this phone and well its not all it could be. I am keeping it because it was a lot of $ and well it does some good things too. But as a phone on AT&T its not that great. I am not asking for people to get on here and flame me for this I just wanted to know if people really sit and think about this phone do they feels the same way.

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

i must say I didnt buy the iPhone as a Phone, as much as i did an internet/multimedia device with phone capabilities. I rarely use the phone part, being in college most of my communication is by facebook or text messaging and when I do talk its for short periods of time. does anyone actually use the phone feature???

3. arubinst macrumors 6502

I know exactly what you mean!

I've had top of the line phones from different brands. Some of them were good phones, some not as good. Many of them offer features beyond the iPhone capabilities (front camera for videoconf, very good photo camera, video recording, voice navigation), but they all fall short in one department. They all fail to deliver a user experience that allows you to really make use of all those tremendous features.

The iPhone is brilliant in this aspect. I find myself looking for excuses to use it all the time. It's fun and much more intuitive than any other device I've owned or seen.

But I have to agree with you: the "phone" part of the iPhone lacks the maturity of other devices. Although I do not have as many problems as you describe (I'm in Switzerland and my carrier seems to be much better than AT&T), I do have some (phone) problems that I never had with previous phones in the past.

The lack of features is also a pain, specially knowing that unofficial third-party software exists to fill the holes. It is not a matter of the phone not being able to implement the features. It is a matter of Apple deciding not to support them for whatever reason. And this makes it far more annoying! No one knows why those features are not supported. No one knows when of if they will ever be supported.

All in all, I'm still quite happy with the phone. The whole concept is much better than anything I've owned, but improvements would definitely be welcome, and I'm sure we will only see those improvements through serious and constructive criticism, such as your post.

Anyone who flames your for what you're saying would have to be blind, IMHO.

Cheers

4. johnrs macrumors 6502a

I understand what your saying. The iPhone is a great device. I dont really see mine as a phone either. If people want a phone that works 100% of the time then you should use something like a Nokia 3310, dont get me wrong, I am not having a go at anyone. The Nokia 3310 type phone is very simple.

The iPhone is more than a phone. What you have in your hand is a mobile computer. How many ppl have computers at home that work 100% of the time. Not many I would have thought. The iPhone is a complex device and while I have had problems I would not swap it for any other device

5. Pared macrumors 65816

It all falls down to the carrier. AT&T is to blame for your issues with the "phone" part.

I just don't understand why people do not understand the gripes with AT&T service before signing up. I changed from Sprint; crystal clear calls and decent reception. I was happy with them but I knew coming in AT&T's terrible network was going to be a problem.

You have to decide if the beauty of this device is worth it. With all the apps... it is, for me.

When I'm on my commute and able to get internet radio, have 14+GB's of music and videos, documents, google maps, web browsing and more (I can easily go on) at my disposal, the switch was a no-brainer.

6. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I have had teh iPhone 3G since the day it came out as well. I have not had any problems with the phone part of the device, in fact the calls all seem clearer. I've only had one dropped call and that was because the person on the other end was on a rapid transit line in Chicago that went from above ground to subway. When it went underground the phone call dropped. I am in Orlando Florida and was expecting that to happen anyway. The other caller uses US Cellular.

As far as the other features go, the main thing that I lacked was a task list, but that has been solved, for the moment, with the Appigo ToDo app and Toodledo. I am using MobileMe to sync with Outloo and although I don't care much for the many little calendars it creates in Outlook, I do prefer the muli-colored calendar on the iPhone. I am waiting for the Pocket Informant program to come out later this fall so that I can then sync my calendars ad tasks together using categories and such like I used to do on my Blackjack 2 prior to the iPhone days and go back to having the one main calendar in Outlook.

The web browsing is fantastic and I am very happy to read my email now on the phone. I could do it on the blackjack, but all I got was partial messages and when I tried to get the rest of the message there was usually an error or the phone timed out. Plus with the iPhone I am able to get even my work email through the web based client, which was something I was not able to do in Windows Mobile 6.

I am very happy with the iPhone for other things as well. I can easily find a movie, even watch the trailer and listen to my favorite playlists. When I workout I can listen to my iPod playlists and I don't have to carry both the phone and iPod. When I am using the elliptical, I can set the iPhone on the display and watch that missed televison episode that I downloaded in itunes on a screen that I can actually see. My iPod classic is great and all but it's hard to watch video since the screen is so small. using the Aim and myspace apps I even stay in touch and have my profiles updated more frequently. I've even downloaded some awesome games to play while waiting in lines or just to pass a few moments by with.

As the iPhone apps mature I am sure things will only get better. As it stands right now most of my favorite apps from the Blackjack and Palm Treo days now have, or will have, iPhone versions and that made transitioning to the ipHone much better than before the 3G came out where the shortcomings of the lack of a task list and everything seeming to be web based applications something that steered me away from the iPhone. The future is bright and I am very happy with the iPhone.

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I've heard a lot of people having problems with the phone service on the iPhone 3G. I just haven't seen it, and I've never had problems with AT&T. Been with them about 5 years. I live in the Boise, Idaho area, and I can count on one hand the number of dropped calls I've had. I have had recently the 3G network go down twice (once briefly, once for a few hours), but a flip to 2.5G worked until they sorted the problem.

I don't know why I haven't had problems. But I suspect it's this way with everyone. I know some people who swear by Verizon. Others think it's a terrible service. Same with Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. It's just random, I suspect.

8. franzmueller macrumors regular

I got the iphone cause imo it´s the best ipod out there period .

and which it happens to be , it´s able to make and receive phone calls .:D

Saludos

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I can tell you right away about a disparity in AT&T reception. I was in the Apple Store and they let me use a demonstration 3G iPhone. I decided to run a test by dialing *3001#12345#* and found that 3 iPhones had a -51 while 8 others had a -95! Every single iPhone had 5 bars! It's important to note that the closer to 0 the better. -51 is as good as it gets while -113 is a dropped call.

Meanwhile the demo 3G running 2.0.2 is getting better reception than my 2.1?! Who knows if it had something to do with all those 3G iPhones under one roof of what. But reception never changed for those iPhones at -95 including my own.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a 2G iphone, and I have none of the problems you all are describing with AT&T's service. So I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's the provider rather than the device.

11. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

same here i mostly NEED it for email, facebook, and texting which means i don't need to talk on the phone as much. So i'm cool with it. AT&T is GREAT here and my call clarity, my moms, and my dads is perfect!

12. Silverfist macrumors member

Silverfist

I used to have a lot of issues with call quality -- not many dropped calls but whole lot of "what was that? Can you repeat that?". Once I picked up a decent Bluetooth headset (Plantronics discovery 925) all of those went away.

I blame quality issues on a combo of AT&T sucking, combined with a less-than-stellar mic/speaker on the iPhone, personally...

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

To me, it is the best phone that i have. The service works 100% everytime I have ever used it. My opinion goes back to the orginal iPhone from last summer as well.

14. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i agree, i rarely use the phone part of it. I've even moved the SMS app to the dock where the phone app defaults to. :)

15. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

same here but i did that also because i can access the phone by double tapping the home button so its all good :D

16. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Honestly.. and this is going to sound like Hyperbole. I wouldn't be without it. its changed my life. I no longer take my laptop with me on long train journey's every weekend as I used to use it for email, watching movies or TV and internet surfing - I can do all that very well on my iPhone 3G. And I often use the GPS to figure where I'm headed. That thing has saved my butt so many times.

I'm based in the UK so can't comment on AT&T's reception but with O2 its fantastic. 3G speeds are great here and reception is pretty much everywhere. I listen to so much more music now, and I hate to quote Steve, but the Genius feature has helped me rediscover my music. I read more now, via listening to audiobooks. I'm back into gaming now after spending so long on games from the app store. The thing is incredible.

Each to there own, of course. But i genuinely don't understand the haters. I suppose I can sympathise with not having mms, or recordable video. But seriously, if you want those features than don't get the iPhone. Simple. There's no need to go on about it. I know for myself, and I suspect many others. It's the perfect phone and I can't wait to see where Apple take it next.

17. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I absolutely need it to work as a phone, and I didn't buy last year because the 2G AT&T service in my area sucks. But AT&T's 3G service is great, and getting better.

I have had two dropped calls since I got the phone (July 25th), and it works great for me as a phone: clear calls with or without the Bluetooth headset, no complaints from the people I'm talking to either. Sometimes they've said that I sound like I'm on a landline.

If it's not working for you as a phone, why not try to do something about it?

Oh, and for the other features, I'm happy. :) It does almost everything my Treo did, and what it does, it does way better. As for the missing features, I'm holding out hope for a future update.