Talking to a cat

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by urchinboy, Jun 30, 2008.

1. urchinboy macrumors member

For the last seven days I've been editing a corporate film for HSBC and as I work from home, my working day inevitably shifts towards a nocturnal pattern of editing from lunchtime until the early hours.

I'm doing all the motion stuff and grading now so I keep getting long bits of rendering, during which I can read forums and try to find out exciting things to justify new kit.

I was just wondering if anyone else in the UK is in a similar position, because right now I'm going insane and talking to the cat.

Incidentally, when the cat walks across the keyboard, he occasionally makes some good edits.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Can we trade? When mine does that, all she does is sit down on it and make the keys all poopy...

3. urchinboy thread starter macrumors member

Poopy keys is not a good thing. I'll stick my one in the post, she's very clean.

But she does have way more attitude than the ones in the clip.

I love rendering.

4. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

Phf!

sod the cat....wish i could get corporate work from the likes of HSBC! :(

5. Flore macrumors regular

Hilarious.. This thread is amazing :D

Laughing my ass off for some weird reason, maybe because I love cats.
    Enjoy your editing!

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

When my cat jumps on the keyboard, there's that sudden pause, followed by the look of innocence (yeah, right!). Moments after, the cat high-tails it out of the room.

I had this other cat that would jump on the keyboard and just stay there until it's thrown off. Apparently, cats don't like it when they don't have your undivided attention all waking hours.

7. Tosser macrumors 68030

Weird. I have a cat too!? I only edit audio, though, but are editors more prone to be cat-people, and is that because of the "nocturnal" thing?

:p

Nice thread, Captain :)

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

haha funny thread. so jealous of editing films for HSBC.

both of my cats seem to like to jump right in front of my keyboard and block the screen and just stand there… awaiting attention :rolleyes: i usually just chuck them off or let them sit on my lap (if its a chilly morning!)

9. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I note the use of the past tense with some interest and trepidation: would you care to share what fate befell "this other cat" with the rest of the class?

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

HSBC. Sweet! :)

Funny. Thanks for sharing.

11. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

At the office when working on a Tesco catalogue I'd commentate on what I was doing although there was no one in the room. I think I was talking to the emac printer server.

This was 16 hours into a 28 hour shift I worked.

12. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

At the office when working on a Tesco catalogue I'd commentate on what I was doing although there was no one in the room. I think I was talking to the emac printer server.

I've always been aware of the fact that I'm an avid talk-to-selfer but recently when playing back test records I made on a new camcorder I was reminded of how inane my running commentary is.

Shudder.

Talking to puddytats, on the other hand, is completely normal - and undoubtedly far less banal than my private narrative.

As for talking to printers: are you familiar with the doctrine of resistentialism?

13. urchinboy thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I'm really not the only one who does this stuff. I don't know whether to be pleased or worried.

I've stopped talking to the cat since he managed to hit +F5. Now the computer talks him through everything I'm doing.