Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Anyone care to speculate on this? Do you think apple will be including a larger battery with the larger case or will the space be taken up by other new tech?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Anyone care to speculate on this? Do you think apple will be including a larger battery with the larger case or will the space be taken up by other new tech?

i honestly think it will at best get the same battery life....bigger screen and LTE means it will need every boost it can get. The bigger battery will cover those two additions alone. You should be looking at a day under normal usage and maybe 8-10 hours under heavy. For as advanced as we have become in technology, we still need to figure out something different with batteries. I shouldn't have to bring a charger with me anywhere

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

Larger battery. While the new screen (assuming it is IGZO and not IPS) and cpu will eat less energy, LTE is a juice vampire. It really eats battery life before your eyes. Not to mention a larger screen to power.

If Apple doesn't have a battery that is at least 2000mAh, a lot of people are going to be complaining online!

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sure after all the flack Apple got with people complaining about the 4S battery life, they will probably make sure to put in a battery capable enough.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
i honestly think it will at best get the same battery life....bigger screen and LTE means it will need every boost it can get. The bigger battery will cover those two additions alone. You should be looking at a day under normal usage and maybe 8-10 hours under heavy. For as advanced as we have become in technology, we still need to figure out something different with batteries. I shouldn't have to bring a charger with me anywhere

'heavy use' is defined differently by different people. What some describe as heavy use is actually just normal use. 8-10 hours is normal use imo.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The current iPhone 4S has a 1432 mAh battery.

I'm guessing we may see a 1600 mAh battery in the
next phone.

I don't think LTE is the power hog that it's portrayed to be (or at least it won't be in 28nm parts)

I'm hopeful of better battery life than a 4S at this point.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010

The numbers aren't even normal on a 4/4S and are highly inflated lol. iPhone 5 needs an 1800mah at minimum! MINIMUM.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
I think Apple will tout battery life as a big thing with this phone. It will probably will have over 2,100 mah

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
In one of the threads here there were pictures posted of some parts among which the alleged new iphone battery. The page was in Japanese or Chinese so I put it through a translator and it said the battery, that was a bit larger than the 4/4s battery, was actually thinner. Which makes sense because the phone may be thinner. I think it had just 20mAh or so more capacity. So no, the volume/capacity is most likely not much larger.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
True...my numbers were way off haha. When i am using LTE I see the battery drop very quickly....about 1.5 hours of using LTE and it would almost be drained. With the s3, right now the battery is at 70%, but i have only texted today. Yesterday i used it most of the morning and at lunch it was about 30% using a battery saver techniques. LTE rapes battery! It is as fast as cable though....ran a speed test on my phone and got 15360 kbps down and 6000 up

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think there is only so much you can do within the confines of the current size of an iPhone.

Technology is getting more battery starved, so a bigger design for a bigger battery and more tech seems like a given.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
New A6 chip (if there is one) will def be streamlined for iPhone, be more efficient, the new screen that everyone is talking about is thinner and more efficient, and then smaller radio(LTE qualcomm chip that apple was waiting for production) adds more space...throw in new sim and new dock, they are just opening up more space for a bigger battery. Yes LTE eats it up, but they have to add the toggle for it, and HSPA+ is fast enough until LTE is as plentiful as 3G in my area...

So if LTE is off, I think the new iPhone could reach 20 percent more battery life than 4S easily, more if they fix software battery issues as well...

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
my experience with battery life on the 4s is deplorable. The next iPhone should be able to at least live up to that much. I expect it will at least be advertised as better.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
One thing you'd have to keep in mind is how iOS manages power as well. On my 4S, iOS 5.0.1 gave me the worst battery life I've ever had on an iPhone. I could just watch the % going down from the lock screen. 5.1(.1) made things normal again (i.e., a full day's usage) but iOS 6 on my 4S is absolutely fantastic. Easily 1.5-2x the battery life of iOS 5.1.1.

So I think that while the new iPhone might have some bloodsucking hardware, iOS 6 will help balance out the battery life.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
After everything I read on here about the 4S battery, I think we should brace ourselves and gear up for BatteryGate 2012.

korndawg

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Iowa
The battery life will be the make it or break it deal for me. I'm not at all happy with my 4S battery life at all.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I could just watch the % going down from the lock screen. 5.1(.1) made things normal again (i.e., a full day's usage) but iOS 6 on my 4S is absolutely fantastic. Easily 1.5-2x the battery life of iOS 5.1.1.

i think you are seeing what you want to see. I'd like to see a phone that normally gets 8 hours of life suddenly jump to 16 hours of life with all the same settings, and just utilizing a software patch. The laws of thermodynamics must have been re-written in that update!

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
i think you are seeing what you want to see. I'd like to see a phone that normally gets 8 hours of life suddenly jump to 16 hours of life with all the same settings, and just utilizing a software patch. The laws of thermodynamics must have been re-written in that update!

I have never touched 8 hours of usage (as shown in the built in Usage timer, I'm not "seeing what I want to see") on iOS 5.0.1. More like 5 if I was lucky. I normally get 7 on 5.1.1, but I can hit 9 hours on iOS 6, all with the same kind of usage (lots of browsing and texting, some calling and gaming). Granted, I exaggerated a bit, but who cares? You're taking it far too literally. My point is, software optimizations do matter as well in terms of battery life.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I have never touched 8 hours of usage (as shown in the built in Usage timer, I'm not "seeing what I want to see") on iOS 5.0.1. More like 5 if I was lucky. I normally get 7 on 5.1.1, but I can hit 9 hours on iOS 6, all with the same kind of usage (lots of browsing and texting, some calling and gaming). Granted, I exaggerated a bit, but who cares? You're taking it far too literally. My point is, software optimizations do matter as well in terms of battery life.

Not arguing with your last point. Software optimizationcan make adifference, just not as much as you claimed. I haven't looked into the 6.0 code, but my guess is the are shutting radios off in sleep mode and when wifi is detected and likely enteringbattery saver mode when certain criteria are met. This could have a significant battery savings.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
If I were designing it, I would leave the size the same and just make the battery bigger. People are used to the iPhone 4S size now compared to the previous versions. I would take advantage of it and just make the battery bigger to get another hour of use out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.