iPhone XS Taller X/Xs screen vs 8+ 16:9 screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by areskins, Oct 24, 2018.

1. areskins macrumors member

areskins

Did the taller yet narrower X/Xs screen bother you when you switched from a 6/7/8 plus model? This and the battery is my only dilemma before switch from my 7+.

Did you miss the wider 16:9 aspect ratio? Was it worth it?
    Unfortunately the Xr and the Xs Max is out of my current budget. A family friend of ours (an old lady) is selling her yet unboxed iPhone X in exchange for my 7+ and some cash.

How was the battery of the X compared to the 7+?

Love and respect, A

2. Lyn2012 macrumors 6502

It wasn’t for me, I returned the X last year as it was too narrow in comparison with my old 6S Plus. I also found the battery worse than the 6S Plus and ended up using an 8 for a year.

I still don’t like long narrow phones, but have now bought the Max. It is a great phone, but I would be happier if I could lose the top cm or so of screen, making the aspect ratio nearer 16:9. I find the extra length unbalances the phone in my hand, (less so with the Max), and adds nothing to my viewing experience.

3. Moi Ici macrumors regular

I have the X and went from a 7plus last year. I did initially find the shape and long screen disconcerting for a while, it felt “off”, it now it feels “normal”.

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

If you look at the 16:9 area of the 5.8” screen you effectively get the equivalent of a 5” 16:9 with some extra space above and below it. It shows 375 points of information across (the same as the non-plus iPhones 6-8) just very slightly larger because of the effective larger screen area. Finally the image quality should be about the same as you get on a 6plus-8plus as it’s rendering each point @3x (so into 9 pixels) and interpolating it to a pentile subpixel matrix, while the plus phones interpolate to a 1080p panel.

5. Mr.Blacky macrumors 6502

But the Xs/Xs Max screen isn't narrower than the 8/8 plus screen.o_O

6. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

The Xs is narrower than the 8 plus screen.

7. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

On the plus side at least narrower phones are easier to hold!

8. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Switched from 8 plus to the Xs Max. It feels the same to me.

9. kasakka macrumors 68020

Correct. I went from a 5.5" 1080p Android phone to the XS and prefer the smaller physical size and the Oneplus 3 I had already had very slim side bezels. The added height helps show more content because top and bottom UI gets pushed further away from the center. I don't miss the extra width at all.

10. areskins thread starter macrumors member

areskins

Just saw the Xs max. Wow that screen was huge! The X’s and Xs’ screen sizes were about right.

11. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

As a plus user from the start, I think I will probably end up dropping to the 5.8” model eventually. The X mostly fixed my primary reasons for opting for the larger models - battery life (near enough; hopefully the “XI” will fully catch up) and the @3x retina screen

I may miss having the 414 points across rather than 375, but as the screen is effectively rendered slightly larger on the X than the 8 I don’t think the KB will be a big issue...