TAM (Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh)+TiVo=Awesome

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tayloralmond, Jun 14, 2012.

1. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

This is easily my best "geek-out" moment. In case you didn't notice my thread about my Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh, I picked one up on eBay about a month ago. Today, I realized I had a spare TiVo sitting around and it dawned on me...I should hook the TiVo up to the TAM!...but it gets even better. Not only can I use my TAM as a full fledged TV with a program guide and DVR, but surprisingly, I've managed to get my TiVo remote to function as my TAM's remote control. The eBay seller I purchased my TAM from didn't provide the remote, so I was really happy about this. After searching through tons of remote codes on TiVo's website, I found out that Sony's remote control code for TiVo's is exactly the same as that of the TAM. Surprisingly, I pulled out the remote control from my Sony 32" TV (which I use as a monitor for my Mac Pro) and it actually works with the TAM. I can turn the computer on, open the video (tv tuner) player, and adjust the volume. I'll be sure to post a video here in a bit, but it's late here in the central US, so it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. mike457 macrumors 6502

3. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

So I am guessing

the OS X installation didn't happen? That looks like OS 7 and ye old apple tv. So does the TAM have a personality card? Everything old is new again.....

PS-you seriously need to put a video of that in action on youtube. Bad-a**. As is the Newcastle glass. Up the Toon!

4. tayloralmond thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, that's 7.6.1. I'm dual booting OS 7 with OS 9. Luckily, my Sonnet G3 upgrade works with OS 7 or I'd have stuck with OS 9 by itself. I tried on multiple occasions to get OS X to work properly. I've managed to get 10.2 to install, but upon reboot, it will not boot into OS X, and will just sit there with the fans blowing. I'll make a video of this thing in action and post a link here in the next few hours.

PS- Gotta love Newcastle :D

5. tayloralmond thread starter macrumors 6502

As promised, here's a link to a video showing the TiVo working on the TAM. This is a link to MyMacCollection, not YouTube because I had planned on putting it on the website anyway.

6. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Thats pretty sweet that you got TiVo hooked up to that. My old' Performa 6400/whatever used to be able to pick up the signal of our Sony TV remote as both the official Apple remote and the TV were made by Sony.

Maybe your TiVo remote is made by Sony too.

Sucks that 10.2 didn't work, does 9.2.2 or only 9.1?

7. tayloralmond thread starter macrumors 6502

With the help of the program OS9Helper, I can run 9.2.2. Normally, the TAM can only run 9.1. At the moment, I'm triple booting OS 7.6.1, 8.6, and 9.2.2.

8. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

dude that is some badarse stuff right there !!!!!! i had no clue u could even do that !!! mind=blown

9. tayloralmond thread starter macrumors 6502

Although I haven't gotten OS X to install on the TAM, I've done my best to get the OS X "feel" in OS 9. I downloaded Kaleidoscope to change the theme, installed the "AquaX III 1.3.1" theme, and installed A-Dock. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like.

Attached Files:

10. estrides macrumors regular

estrides