taming the trackpad on the new Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jj1075, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jj1075 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new Macbook and am loving it. However, I am having trouble typing documents because the lower part of my hands inadvertantly pass above the trackpad which sends the cursor off to another part of the document. My "hunt and peck" technique certainly doesn't help with this but there were always ways to turn off or desensitize the trackpad on other notebooks I've used to negate this problem. Is there a setting in OSX or on the Macbook itself that can desensitize or turn off the trackpad while I'm busting out a senior thesis or something?

Thanks in advance,

JJ

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

There should be an option to "ignore accidental trackpad input" in the system preferences. Check it out.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Under the Apple menu go to System Preferences and the select Keyboard & Mouse. There you can do some adjustments. I don't know it this will ultimately help you or not.

4. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

You can turn the trackpad off if you are using a mouse.

5. kolax macrumors G3

The pre Multi-Touch MacBook's had an option to ignore accidental trackpad input. However, the new ones don't have this option.

However, what is your typing technique? I can't see how the cursor would go shooting off if you are just resting your palms on the edge of the trackpad.

6. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Oh wow. Never mind what I said then. :D

7. jj1075 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses, folks.

I guess I'll throw a mouse onboard when I'm doing alot of typing but more importantly, I'm learning to keep my hands in a more "qwerty" position to alleviate the problem. Next problem: not letting the titanium band on my watch scratch the aluminum as I type...I just take it off.

Thanks again,

JJ

8. kolax macrumors G3

Yes, definitely do that! I always take my watch off - on my old MacBook Pro I had a lot of scratches where my watch had worn into the aluminium.

I hate when girls ask to use my laptop and they have an obscene amount of jewellery on (bracelets, rings etc) and I can almost hear the scratching. Call me anal, but I've asked folk to remove watches before using my Mac!

9. stuff99 macrumors 6502

how? theres no option for that anymore!

10. hobycook macrumors newbie

A Different View on Bracelet Scratches

I have seen the posts about the shame of letting a watch bracelet scratch one's beloved MacBook. I have the reverse problem. I COLLECT watches and I USE the computer. I could care less about scratching the computer. I care a LOT about the fact that the sharp edge of the unibody case scratches the *!$% out of the clasps and buckles of $6K - $10K collectors watches every time I lay my hands on the keyboard. I'm not about to take the watch off, but I am looking for a nice last-issue black MacBook 13" to replace this piece of unneccesary puffery. Unfortunately there's been nothing on the Apple Refurb site for the past week. I was offended enough by the loss of FW on the unibody 13, but this crosses the line. Other than the better screen and the backlit keys, there is absolutely nothing about the unibody 13" that meaningfully challenges the older model 13. They could have done both of those things AND kept FW without this purely cosmetic "improvement". To say nothing of how the loss of FW 400 I/O across the entire unibody platform effectively sends a resounding *@%!-you to the Apple Pro Audio community! I don't even want to HEAR about how the FW "splitter dongle" solves the problem! There wasn't a problem until they created one. Just Awful!!
    Hoby

11. Dokwok macrumors newbie

There is BlackMAC here

just saw today BLK MB 250GB open box return for Aluminum...@ Bestbuy, cascade station, Portland, OR.

12. Molopo macrumors regular

Turn off the tap to click option, and it should solve the majority of your problems. You won't be able to merely tap (not depress) the trackpad for input, so there's a bit of a trade-off.

13. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder