Tamper resistent screws on future MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laser71, Jan 24, 2011.

1. laser71 macrumors regular

As some might know, apple is currently adding tamper-resistant screws to their products: iPhone and the current MBP battery. Clearly Apple wants to control our hardware from the second we buy it, to the moment we want any sort of servicing/changes.

When the new MBP comes out, assuming there is an optical bay, I am planning on swapping it out with a SSD and adding a 750 or 1TB drive for data. However, I am wondering if perhaps Apple might in the new MBPs add more tamper resistant screws to make this job much harder.

Although no one knows what the new MBP has in store, is this something that is likely to happen? I know ram and hard drives are meant to be user-replaceable, but what about optibay replacements? Would this surprise anybody?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably. They already have those annoying Tri-wing screws holding the battery in. If the next MBP even has an optical drive it shouldn't surprise anyone if they're locked down with some sort of esoteric screw.

3. goMac macrumors 603

The MBP is considered a user serviceable computer and advertised as such, so no, no tamper resistant screws.

The only exception so far seems to have been the battery (which already has tamper resistant screws) which is not user serviceable.

The iPhone is NOT considered a user serviceable device, and never has been, which is why it's getting the screws.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

As long as memory in MBPs remains user-upgradable, I don't see them locking the entire bottom with those new screws.