Tamron 17-50 2.8

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by puckhead193, Jul 24, 2011.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So i bought the tamron SP AF 17-50mm 2.8 XR Di II VC (nikon) lens today as an impulse buy. But now i'm re-thinking it. Whats your thoughts on the lens. Reviews are mixed...
    Thanks

2. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

Seemed like most reviews I read on it were positive. What are you dissatisfied with?

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Wirelessly posted (my blackberry storm: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

The impulse buy of it. I didn't do much research on it and just want confirmation that it is a good lens for the price and that I wasn't had at the store.
    Also the AF speed. I'm unsure about.

4. WRP macrumors 6502a

5. Mr.Noisy, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

I bought this lens when it first came out without doing much research to use on a D300,glad I made the impulse buy, AF speed is very good, the lens itself is very sharp, try using it without the VC switched on too, the image results are very good, it's just a really good upgrade to a basic kit lens, for walkabout it's a great buy, don't worry you made a good purchase there, if I didnt have a 5D2 then the 17-50 would have been a keeper, nice going enjoy the lens ;)

6. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

thanks everyone for your insight! I plan on using it with my D90.
    My other lenses in the bag are the 18-105 kit, 70-300 and the 35mm 1.8 DX.
    Any other opinions?

7. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

I have the non-VC version of this lens (I have in-body stabilization) and couldn't be happier with it. It's very sharp, even wide open. Unlike Canon's 17-55mm f/2.8 doesn't exhibit any zoom creep (at least my version), even though it has a zoom lock.

8. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I tested it on my D90 and hated it. Some people like it and have had better results than I did. After playing with it, I decided from now on before I buy a lens, I would rent before buying.

That lens sell for what?? 650? You can get a Nikkor 17-55mm for around $800-900 used. The Tamron I tested had too much of that purple haze and I didn't like the results I got. When I rented the Nikkor, everything was a lot sharper.

http://www.lensprotogo.com/
    https://www.lensrentals.com/for-nikon
    http://www.rentglass.com/

If you like shooting around f/4 or f/2.8 then save up for a Nikkor lens. Maybe 10-20mm or 17-55mm or 24-70mm. Sell your 18-105mm there are a lot of users who hate their 18-55mm kit. But definitely try one for a couple days before deciding.

check the used section at keh.com

9. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Well, the VC version sells for around 650$ and tests show that the non-VC version is much better than the VC one, at least as far as the sharpness and CA are concerned, build quality is probably the same.
    The non-VC version sells for around 400$ though and is (imho) a much better buy.

10. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

I too have the non-VC version. I think it's a fine lens so enjoy it (I no longer have a DX camera, but I kept the lens, just in case I get another DX body).

A general point: Nikon is not necessarily going to make better lenses than third parties. That's just reality. If you want the 'best' you might be surprised at how much - or little - you need to pay, and you won't always be buying from Nikon.

11. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Why are you having buyer's regrets? From the sound of it, you're just scared by some reviews. Are you dissatisfied with the photos it produces? Optically, the non-VC version is better, but that hasn't stopped anyone from taking good photos. My favorite lens is Sigma's 30 mm f/1.4 lens: optically, it is not very good according to most reviews, but to me, there is no (affordable) substitute: once you get addicted to f/1.4 lenses, you don't want to go back.

The Tamron is a lot cheaper and gives you the same features as Canon's 17-55 mm f/2.8 (with the exception of the 5 extra mm). If the photo is good, nobody will ask you what lens you shot it with. Nobody will say `oh, look at the contrast in the corners!' Just enjoy your lens.

12. jackerin macrumors 6502a

True. They will ask you what camera-body you used... :p

13. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Yup. `That shot couldn't have been made with a Canon, the colors, it must be a Nikon D7150!' :D

14. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

No way. Composition like that could only have been done with an M9.

15. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

"Nice, you obviously used the Canon EW-83J for this shot. I instantly recognize photos taken with this lens hood ..."

16. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

I was always told to use Leica cameras for the "decisive moment" shots, composition should only be attempted with medium format (or larger) cameras.