Tamron lens lineup

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MCAsan, May 20, 2013.

1. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

This weekend they wife and I attended a Tamron event. It was the first of their State Parks workshops. What was so nice was there were basically no speeches (yea). We had the chance to shoot most of the Tamron lineup in the park or at Anna Rudy Falls (Federal property) on the mountaintop above the state park.

http://www.tamron-usa.com/events/parks.asp

I must say I was very impressed with their 24-70, 70-200, 200-500, and 180 macro. I really like the internal focusing (IF) concept where all the moving parts are inside the main sleeve. It minimizes dust getting into a seam between two both halves.

We had the 18-270 (not a higher end SP lens) as a good walkaround for our 7Ds. I am seriously considering changing to 24-70 as my walkaround on 5DII instead of my 24-105. I like the faster speed and VC on the 24-70.

In general how do the rest of you perceive the Tamron lens lineup, especially the SP higher end lenses?

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Their new 24-70mm looks quite good, I have the older 28-75mm f/2.8 and I really like it.
    It's sharp wide open and handy having f/2.8 at 75mm.

If Pentax ever produce a full frame body it'll become my standard zoom.

3. mizzouxc macrumors member

Personally, I'd stay away from Tamron lenses and buy real canon/nikon lenses. They're a _little_ bit more, but well worth it. Tamron lenses are almost always a F-stop slower than their counterparts.

Save yourself money and buy the real deal from Adorama. You can buy branded equipment at Tamron prices generally.

4. MCAsan thread starter macrumors 601

MCAsan

Tamron is the largest camera lens maker in the world. They make many of Nikon and Canon lenses for those companies under contract. Just because the box says Canon or Nikon does not mean it came from a Canon or Nikon owned factory.

I have a rolling bag of L lenses. Had i to do it over again those would likely be Tamon SP lenses for a 1/3 cost savings over L lenses and with all with a 6 year warranty.

I am definitely gonna start by ordering the 180 macro from B&H.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Do you have proof of this? And even if it's true, Lenses made for Canon and Nikon are made to their specifications.

Some of the high end Tamron lenses may be good, but for the low end lenses, buying the Canon or Nikon low end lenses would be a better idea.

And personally after the experience I have had with various Tamron lenses, I have no interest en even trying their high end lenses.

6. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

According to Photozone, in regard of the Tamron 90mm macro lens:
    The Tamron 90mm is one third the cost of the Canon 100mm macro. The lack of image stabilisation for macro work is irrelevant if you're locked on to a tripod. I think if you are on a budget, it's the way to go.

7. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Well, some of the Tamron lenses for FF cameras cost half the price of Nikon and Canon cameras, and according to the numerous reviews, the lens that competes with the Canon 16-35 L, as well as the Nikon version, beats both relating to sharpness and focusing in low light conditions.