Tamron lens support

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by puckhead193, Apr 23, 2012.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm thinking of sending it my 17-50 f2.8 VC lens as I think the focus is off as the images seem very soft esp. at 2.8. (totally unusable) Anyone ever deal with Tamron support? Any suggestions?

If it turns out that the lens is within spec, whats your thoughts on the Nikon 17-55 f2.8? What do you think is a fair trade in value of the Tamron?

2. Bear macrumors G3

How new is the lens? Can you still return or exchange it?

For testing the lens, have a row of softcover books where the spines are not perfectly lined up. maybe 1/8" steps focus on one at the middle depth and see if any of the spines are in focus.

Your lens could be front or back focusing. That will help when you contact Tamron support.

Even if the above test photos don't tell you anything, contact Tamron support and explain as much of the issue as you can.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

So I took some pictures today...here are 3 of them. (I scaled the images down, all photos were taken in RAW
    in the Ranger flyer. I told picked my focus point on the Winter Classic text on the right hand side. But to me the big "Thank" seems more in focus to me.

On the sneaker picture the chris-cross of the laces the second hole from the bottom was my focus point but the further up you go seems to be more in focus.

On the books on the coffee table, the Vanity fair October 2011 on the spine of the magazine was my focus point, but the red Vanity fair seem to me more in focused.

Granted I'm not shooting charts nor am I no where near a professional.

I got this lens in the middle of the summer last year.

Attached Files:

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I had to send in a 90mm macro and a 10-24 wide angle for auto focus issues not too long ago. I think it took about 2 weeks to get the lenses back and my problems were fixed.

Does your camera have a focus compensation option? Try playing with that a little bit.

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have no idea :confused: :p Its a D90
    I noticed you live on Long Island. Tamron's repair center is in Commack about 20 mins or so away from me, were you able to drop your lens off or did you UPS/FED-EX it?

6. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

My father actually took care of it for me. I'm pretty sure he mailed it because he's pretty lazy. You can always call and ask about dropping it off though, worst that could happen is they say no.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Looking at this pictures, the focus of the lens is definitely off and you do want Tamron to repair it. This is not something you live with or adjust to. It makes it difficult to switch between lenses.

When you get the lens back, check it out thoroughly.

8. aMoLk macrumors newbie

This is not a focus or softness problem

From the photos posted above, this does not look like back/front focus problem nor is it the softness problem. There are parts of image (around the center) which are perfectly sharp and in focus. What this means, is that the lens is fine, it just has a very small focal point/area at 17mm and f/2.8
    To avoid this, either zoom in, or use smaller aperture.

If there is Back focus or front focus problem, the entire subject will be slightly out of focus. The lens will focus few inches in front or back of where it should actually focus, resulting in out of focus subject.