Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Question relating to the iPad Pro tandem OLED screen. The tech sounds really cool, can’t wait to see one in person.

Assume it looks truly amazing, especially HDR content. I think Apple is the first with this screen tech. Will Apple push this advantage and release a large tandem OLED monitor? How about a tandem OLED television? How long, how difficult, and how expensive to launch it with big screens?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I am no expert but my guess is that the margins in TVs and monitors is too low for Apple’s liking. Also keep in mind, they think selling you a VisionPro headset is the future.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Tandem OLED is the most advanced Display a person can reasonably but today. Owning a 240hz OLED gaming laptop and a 240hz Gaming QD-OLED Display from Gigabyte. OLED is the best.

Reactions: PaperMag

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
2nd Gen QD-OLED (Samsung) and MLA WOLED (LG) TVs can already match or beat the brightness of these displays. OLED TVswill be out that can hit 3000 nits this year, with 4000 not far behind. Heck, MiniLED displays are out that can pass 5000 nits.

cczhu

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2018
wish they'd update the ProDisplay XDR with this new tandem OLED sooner than later, that would be a dream monitor with ProMotion

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
wish they'd update the ProDisplay XDR with this new tandem OLED sooner than later, that would be a dream monitor with ProMotion
The price on this will be insane I think. Id be surprised to see it happen soon. I think even the next gen MacBook Pro’s aren’t going OLED yet

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Can we finally just use the 13” as a monitor via the Thunderbolt 4 port it has now ? I need the 13” as just a Gaming monitor for my Switch or other Emulation devices.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Question relating to the iPad Pro tandem OLED screen. The tech sounds really cool, can’t wait to see one in person.

Assume it looks truly amazing, especially HDR content. I think Apple is the first with this screen tech. Will Apple push this advantage and release a large tandem OLED monitor? How about a tandem OLED television? How long, how difficult, and how expensive to launch it with big screens?

You do realize that Samsung OLED TV's can reach even higher brightness levels than the display in the iPad?

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Comparing TVs to computer displays is moot because the latter have/need far higher resolution/dpi, handheld devices even more so. But a new Apple Pro Display with this tech would indeed be very awesome.

RobinNL

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
World
I think the problem for Apple is that.. if the M4 is indeed this quick for AI and tandem OLED is the best display by far.. it also puts a dent in anything new that does not match this technology imo

would not want to buy an M3 knowing the M4 is out there and far better equipped to handle the next gen software.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
You do realize that Samsung OLED TV's can reach even higher brightness levels than the display in the iPad?
Yes. But I suppose it might be relevant that you cannot carry them around and they need to be plugged into the wall.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Can we finally just use the 13” as a monitor via the Thunderbolt 4 port it has now ? I need the 13” as just a Gaming monitor for my Switch or other Emulation devices.

That ability I thought came with the latest iPadOS. I’ve played my switch on the iPad a few times via a simple adapter plus capture app.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Yes. But I suppose it might be relevant that you cannot carry them around and they need to be plugged into the wall.
If I may, not relevant, as I specifically asked about Apple releasing monitors and televisions using tandem OLED.

If the iPad screens are amazing, push the tech into new products.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I don't see it making sense. The reason Apple claims they did it is to increase brightness. OLED TVs already solved this problem a long time ago. My S95B is blindingly bright already so I turn it down. I wouldn't buy a more complex TV to feel like I'm staring at the surface of the sun.

Reactions: Basic75

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I wouldn't buy a more complex TV to feel like I'm staring at the surface of the sun.
Yes, the only devices where I'm interested in maximum brightness are my phone and my watch, because sometimes I have to use them outside in the sun. Not sure why everybody seems so fixated on searing their retinas when watching TV.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
A separate monitor seems unlikely, also due to burn-in issues.

This timeline leaked in November, so maybe iMacs in 2028:

1715263600350.png

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
2nd Gen QD-OLED (Samsung) and MLA WOLED (LG) TVs can already match or beat the brightness of these displays. OLED TVswill be out that can hit 3000 nits this year, with 4000 not far behind. Heck, MiniLED displays are out that can pass 5000 nits.

2024 LG G4 OLED TV (calibrated – tested)

100% window peak: 209.27 nits
10% window peak: 1503.67 nits

2024 M4 iPad Pro OLED (calibrated – claimed, as yet untested)

100% window peak: 1000 nits
??% window peak: 1600 nits

Other variables like how long each sustains this brightness on a static image before dimming I can’t clarify.

Power source, thermal mass, pixel density and so on differ greatly between TV’s and tablets. Mini LED local dimming displays have varying degrees of visible blooming, never achieving full contrast in challenging content like a white star against black space.

Reactions: wmy5

mikeev

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
What? No. OLED monitors max out at around 1000 nits but only at a 2% window. They crash quickly to ~500 nits (or lower) at 10%, and stay near there for the rest of window range if you're lucky. But most are at about 250 nits for full screen brightness.

Yes TVs are better than monitors in this regard, but that's a much different application.

Text is also reportedly excellent on the iPad's tandem OLED, while every OLED monitor shipping today is a compromise relative to LCD.

PaperMag

macrumors member
May 13, 2023
I assume you're speaking of the 2024 Samsung S95D OLED?
OLED iPad Pro hits 1000 nits in SDR & HDR mode at 100% window.

2024 Samsung S95D only hits 289 nits at 100% window.

Both QD-OLED and WOLED have shortcomings, including not getting bright enough, and text fringing due to odd sub-pixel structures—which is a problem if you're Apple selling reference-grade displays. Tandem OLED gets over 2x brighter on a 100% window and its traditional RGB pixel structure doesn't cause text fringing so its perfect for software UI, productivity and design work.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
OLED iPad Pro hits 1000 nits in SDR & HDR mode at 100% window.

2024 Samsung S95D only hits 289 nits at 100% window.

Both QD-OLED and WOLED have shortcomings, including not getting bright enough, and text fringing due to odd sub-pixel structures—which is a problem if you're Apple selling reference-grade displays. Tandem OLED gets over 2x brighter on a 100% window and its traditional RGB pixel structure doesn't cause text fringing so its perfect for software UI, productivity and design work.
Do we know that the iPad's OLEDs use a traditional RGB pixel structure? Their marketing video sure didn't show it that way and I'm not sure who actually manufactures any OLEDs with RGB layout sub-pixels.

komadani

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
Do we know that the iPad's OLEDs use a traditional RGB pixel structure? Their marketing video sure didn't show it that way and I'm not sure who actually manufactures any OLEDs with RGB layout sub-pixels.
a chinese youtube channel put them under microscope and confirmed the subpixel layout. Compared the nano texture ipad pro to nano texture pro display XDR as well.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 15.32.19.png
Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 15.34.31.png

Last edited:
Reactions: thelead
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.