Tang, or Notch. Cast your vote.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inscrewtable, Oct 21, 2017.

?

One person's tang is another person's notch

Poll closed Nov 11, 2017.
  1. There are two useful tangs extending from the screen, which I like.

61.2%
  2. There is the appearance of a notch and I don't like it.

38.8%
  1. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

It has been pointed out that the 'ears' are an extension of the screen so that amongst other uses, it eliminates using the screen for status info and looks pretty.

Other people though insist that the ears are in fact screen the the notch impinges their viewing as if the sensors are just there to annoy people, and look ugly.

2. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

What are we calling the area of the “edge to edge” display that the “tangs” extend into

Curious because does that mean the bottom of the phone has 3 merged “tangs” just merged into one big, invisible tang at the bottom?

3. inscrewtable, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017

inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

To me edge to edge means left edge to right edge, it also includes the bottom edge, and it include the top right edge and the top left edge. But it doesn't matter what any one says because you just have to look at it and there's your answer. It is exactly what it looks like.

For example Samsung can claim that their Galaxy is 'edge to edge' from right side to left side. However I look at it and I can see otherwise, regardless of what they say, because I see reflections impinging on the screen. So if I were in the market for a Galaxy, it wouldn't matter what Samsung said, all that matters is what I see.

4. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

What the hell is a 'tang'?

Option 1 for me.

Option 2 for anyone with a larger sized screen, ie. Plus owners...

5. inscrewtable, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017

inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

dictionaries are your friend. A tang is sort of like the opposite of a notch. The idea of a poll is for people to speak for themselves, not for people to speak for others.

6. Diorama macrumors 6502a

It’s not really up for discussion: until someone can post a picture with no top or bottom bezel then they are tangs/extensions, end of story.

If anyone wants to argue with this post then their reply had better include a picture of a smartphone without bezels at the top and bottom.

7. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

tang1
    taŋ/
    noun
    noun: tang; plural noun: tangs
    1. 1.
      a strong taste, flavour, or smell.
      "the clean salty tang of the sea"
      synonyms: flavour, taste, savour; More
      sharpness, zest, zestiness, bite, edge, smack, piquancy, spice, spiciness, relish, tastiness;
      informalzip, punch, ginger, kick, pep
      "liven up your cooking with the tang of fresh lemons"
      smell, odour, aroma, fragrance, perfume, redolence
      "Caroline could smell the tang of the sea"
      • a characteristic quality.
        "his words came out with a distinct tang of broad Lancashire"
    2. 2.
      the projection on the blade of a tool such as a knife, by which the blade is held firmly in the handle.
      "a full tang is used for strength"
    My 'friend' the dictionary struggles to find a connection....

8. Diorama macrumors 6502a

9. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

8F3B1A8B-94D8-44AF-AE9A-5699E604BB6B.jpeg

10. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

It wasn't that clear, but looking further, I get it now...kind of like a Santoku blade eh.

11. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I see Apple advertising a 5.8” screen when measured corner to corner but people are saying the “tangs” are just extensions of the screen which makes no sense.

It’s a 5.8” screen with a notch cut out of the top because it’s advertised, which means it was designed as a 5.8” screen.

12. Diorama macrumors 6502a

13. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Good thing Hefner just passed on, Apple may have had a lawsuit pending.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2017 ---
    the screen measurments are just a corner to corner measure, and the tangs can display screen stuff, and they are in the corner. Apple are not giving an area measurement, they aren't saying how many square millimetres the screen contains. That's just convention. Maybe if screens sizes instead of being universally measured on the diagonal they were instead given as a heigh x width, then yes Apple might have a difficulty but they aren't and Apple doesn't.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2017 ---
    OK it's a projection from a part left after a bit is cut out, usually a tang has a purpose. Here is an example of a tang on a carburettor float bowl, as you can see it's the opposite of a notch. Whether you call something a tang or whether you call it a notch depends on which bit is serving the purpose. On a float bowl the tang is serving a special purpose, the notch that it leave behind is incidental.

So seeing as it's the 'ears' on the display that are serving the purpose as they are not really necessary, so they are tangs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

15. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

Sorry cant vote on the issue you raised. Really pointless topic, but i see you have different view point, the edge to edge from left to right is not a feat of an ordinary person. Your post is really interesting, solid points. Btw do you wear glasses and lenses?

16. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

You mean you don't want to vote, not you can't vote. How is it pointless, a big talking point all over the inter webs is, 'the notch is ugly', so it's pretty pertinent. I don't think it's ugly at all, but people who do claim that 'most people' think it's ugly which is a strange claim to make so far it's 2:1 that the notch is not ugly. Certainly more relevant and interesting than threads like 'are you going to put a case on your phone'

I do wear glasses sometimes, when I do they are prescription and they darken in the sun too. Why do you ask?

17. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Surely we can get 100 votes up on Macrumors in order to have a fairer representation.

18. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Both options are essentially the same whereas there isn't an option to pick "no notch"......so this poll is a bust.

19. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

20. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Gotta be bumpity bump time surely?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2017 ---
    It's option 2, it's really a simple 'I like the notch or I don't like the notch', however for the 'likers' it's not called a 'notch' because they see the glass half full.

21. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Now that the phone's been out for 4 days this might be a worthwhile bump