Tangeriiiiiiine!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tdbmoss, Jul 12, 2016.

1. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Well the Indigo was feeling lonely, so it now has an orange friend :D I picked this up a few days ago, have been interested in getting one for a while given that they look totally awesome (I miss Apple Computer...) and are also interesting for playing with pre-Public Beta versions of OS X that the FireWire versions don't seem to want to run (I think mainly because the boot OSes on the Server 1.2 and OS X DP discs are all Mac OS 9.0.0 whereas the FireWire models refuse to recognise anything older than the 9.0.4 that they shipped with, as opposed to any actual incompatibility with the OS X versions once they are installed).

WP_20160709_18_34_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160709_16_05_28_Pro.jpg

Matching restore discs (though actually I think all the first-generation iMacs/iBooks came with orange discs, they didn't actually intend the colours to match)

WP_20160709_18_33_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160709_18_31_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160709_18_36_08_Pro.jpg

2. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

What time machine did you find? A TARDIS? A DeLorean? Bill & Ted's phone booth? That iBook looks like it came straight outta 1999. I've never seen a Clamshell with that little wear on the rubber, and no cracking on the plastics.

3. tdbmoss thread starter macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Hehe, I guess the camera makes it look nice - well it is pretty nice for 17 years old, but it does have some wear i.e. it couldn't be mistaken for one fresh out of the box :) There are a couple of very very small signs of cracking next to the logo under the screen where the first-generation ones always crack so I will need to be careful with it, it looks like opening and closing them causes them to crack there over time.

4. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Ah it looks wonderful! I love the Tangerine models of Apple's computers.

Could you install the DP releases on another computer and Target Disk Mode it onto the Tangerine? That should work I'd think, even with the OS 9 being a version behind what it shipped with. Not sure, be sure to update us regardless!

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Looks very nice! Tangerine was the last one I got my my complete collection, and it's such a sharp looking Mac. Unfortunately mine has a pretty dim screen, but the previous owner did upgrade to a 20GB hard drive which was nice.

6. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

That is one fine looking machine. I hope to find one in the future to go with my Tangerine iMac.

7. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

It's beautiful. Just beautiful.

Great find. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

8. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

That is really sharp dude. I love both of my Clamshells, both my Blueberry and my Tangerine.

9. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I'd love a tangerine, the color is just so vibrant!

10. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Very nice, love it! Now you need a 'Key Lime' to complement them. And the best of luck in finding one! It took me ages, but they're beautiful.

11. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

When you get Clamshells, you wanna get them all! All I need are a Blueberry and Key Lime, but for some reasons Blueberries are really wanted in the Netherlands (barely anyone bid on the ones I got), and Key Lime is nonexistant. Anyway, here's mine. The 300MHz Tangerine has the average wear and tear, the 366MHz Indigo has weird white spots that won't go away with cleaning solution on the top rubber, and it smells a bit iffy, might open it up completely one day and safely clean the LB and case. The 466MHz Graphite has a few stains on the bottom underneath the rubber, as do the others, but that seems to be a normal occurrence on them, sadly. But I'm still happy with them :)
    13130044_1145177878881422_170380049_n.jpg

12. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

Wow the condition is flawless, congratulations!

13. tdbmoss thread starter macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Don't you need the first-generation Graphite as well if we're talking complete clamshell collections... :p I hadn't realised how different the plastics are on the two generations actually before I got the Tangerine, the first-generation ones are a lot less white than the FireWire models. They are so awesome but I mustn't let myself get any more Macs now :D

The Blueberry ones seem pretty common over here, I'd say the Key Lime is by far the rarest in the UK, the Tangerine might be second-rarest but still a lot more common than the Lime - perhaps the Lime was just *too* bright for most laptop buyers back in 2000!

14. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Oh yeah, the difference in the plastics between the original and FireWire iBooks is pretty extreme. The clear keyboards and palm rests were pretty cool, but the later snow white did look more refined.

So as long as we're sharing iBook collections.... :p IMG_1322.jpg

15. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Yes, I would have to get the first gen Graphite as well, but since the colour is the same, the white ones aren't cracking, and the white one is faster, I won't really hunt down the first gen Graphite. Same with Key Lime, I much rather have the white one that doesn't have cracking plastic and is faster.

16. tdbmoss thread starter macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Wasn't the Key Lime only available in the second generation (white plastics/FireWire) - I don't think I've ever seen a first-generation Lime? (not that I see many Limes at all!)

As far as I can tell the Lime was available as both types of second-generation model ie CD-ROM/366 Mhz and DVD-ROM/466 Mhz, whereas the Indigo was only available with the lower specs and the Graphite only with the higher specs.

Good luck hunting down the Blueberry and the Lime! :D

17. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

I remember seeing a first-gen Lime online, don't know if the photo was edited or just looked off, but it did have translucent plastic instead of white plastic.

18. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I wish I had a ClamShell so bad. Don't care what generation, model, etc... I just want one badly!

19. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

How about those multicolored ones on eBay:p

20. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Yeah no...

21. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

But they're so beautiful :eek::p

22. Deane2000, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

What are you guys doing for cases? Have you seen these?

They were the original iBook case. Many collectors collect them along with the laptops. The last time I checked there were still a few available but the company doesn't show them on their website. Might be best to call or email if you want one.

Classic iBook Case

MacCase Classic Tangerine.jpg

23. weckart macrumors 68040

Most likely one of those American FrankenBooks, where the seller has mixed and matched parts from all generations and removed some of the more opaque sections of the 1st gen casing to make a very translucent iBook.

24. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Ah, I see, it's this link you've meant ... https://www.mac-case.com/pages/the-maccase-story
    Dicota built similar cases with one translucent side. If the Clamshell is in Standby-mode, the green LED flashes in the shape of an X due to the pattern of the translucent plastic - as if they did foresee the upcoming OS X. :)

25. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

Yes, fixed it, thanks.