Taoists! The next political wave?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Link
On politics, Taoists again stress internalization and non-intervention. Chapter 80 of the Tao Te Ching states, “Let there be a small state with few people, no ships and carriages used, no weapons displayed. There should be no visiting with the neighboring state” (qtd. in Feibleman 150). Lao Tzu believes that even the ruler should rule by inaction.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
I'm stressing because this thread is not in the Political Forum. :p Ha, just joking of course. I dated a Taoist in HS many moons ago. She was also detached and kept away from the weapons... :eek: Wonder what she's up to now...

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Because some people choose take an interest in something means that they are going to try and force others to believe the same thing. Or something along that line? I'm not sure, why exactly do you think they are going to be the next political wave? Is there something threatening about people doing something other than what is currently popular?

How many elected Taoists do we have claiming that the Constitution is based in Taoism?

You've made my point for me. Keep pushing though, people like religion force fed. Or do they?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Xtremehkr said:
Because some people choose take an interest in something means that they are going to try and force others to believe the same thing. Or something along that line? I'm not sure, why exactly do you think they are going to be the next political wave? Is there something threatening about people doing something other than what is currently popular?

How many elected Taoists do we have claiming that the Constitution is based in Taoism?

You've made my point for me. Keep pushing though, people like religion force fed. Or do they?

You're slightly overreacting. Stu just posted this thread in response to a throwaway remark I made in one (of the many) Christian threads. It was meant completely harmlessly and as a little joke...

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
You're slightly overreacting. Stu just posted this thread in response to a throwaway remark I made in one (of the many) Christian threads. It was meant completely harmlessly and as a little joke...
Maybe, maybe not. Currently in the US, it is popular and accepted to be tolerant of everything that is conservative and christian and compeletely intolerant of everything that is not. I made that point earlier. Throwaway comment or not, it has been made into an issue. An issue that is pretty ridiculous concerning how things are currently, which is what I am pointing out.

As shown in the thread that this seemed to originate from, it is (perceived as being) completely acceptable to some to attack liberal and secular points of view with impunity. That's not right, without at least some degree of justification that is relevant to the matter at hand.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
This thread is intended as a joke...

Yes, some of us get it.

By the way, what happened to the "Bugs Bunny Hop" post I made earlier? Why you little... you deleted it, didn't you? :cool:

All is well: you are the Blue Velvity Goddess for a reason...

Your Avatar still creeps me out. :p

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Xtremehkr said:
Maybe, maybe not. Currently in the US, it is popular and accepted to be tolerant of everything that is conservative and christian and compeletely intolerant of everything that is not. I made that point earlier. Throwaway comment or not, it has been made into an issue. An issue that is pretty ridiculous concerning how things are currently, which is what I am pointing out.

As shown in the thread that this seemed to originate from, it is (perceived as being) completely acceptable to some to attack liberal and secular points of view with impunity. That's not right, without at least some degree of justification that is relevant to the matter at hand.
We know the thread you refer to, and I agree with you. We are facing a serious crisis in our country. But Let the Stu fella have his day: he was just trying to tone things down a bit... didn't you Stewie? Especially since the originating thread has been banishéd from the front page. Yet this one remains, because it is only a joke...

I wonder who moved the originating thread to the political forum at this wee hour...?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Balin64 said:
Yes, some of us get it.

By the way, what happened to the "Bugs Bunny Hop" post I made earlier? Why you little... you deleted it, didn't you? :cool:

All is well: you are the Blue Velvity Goddess for a reason...

Your Avatar still creeps me out. :p
I can't delete your posts. Besides, it's in another thread (design).
Get yourself some coffee... :)

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Then let's discuss the matter at hand, without prejudice. Leave out the random generalizations about what ideology people may hold and stick to what is being discussed. Leave out the forced perceptions, talking points and propaganda focus on what is factual and what is not. Easy.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Yes, right away Miss...

Blue Velvet said:
I can't delete your posts. Besides, it's in another thread (design).
Get yourself some coffee... :)
But all I have is Decaf!

...and some horribly-tasting instant Nescafé stuff. Eecchh.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Xtremehkr said:
Then let's discuss the matter at hand, without prejudice. Leave out the random generalizations about what ideology people may hold and stick to what is being discussed. Leave out the forced perceptions, talking points and propaganda focus on what is factual and what is not. Easy.
To be honest with you, I think you and I would be banned from the site if we truly spoke our hearts about our sociopolitical situation. Sigh... we just need to keep being aware and keep voicing our opinions. I am 100% with you...

How is it being a Progressive in the conservative stronghold of Orange County? ...I could never figure that out, how can an area of California be so stauchly conservative across the board? I suppose that with our population there has to be pockets of conservatism... but in Orange County?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Balin64 said:
To be honest with you, I think you and I would be banned from the site if we truly spoke our hearts about our sociopolitical situation. Sigh... we just need to keep being aware and keep voicing our opinions. I am 100% with you...

How is it being a Progressive in the conservative stronghold of Orange County? ...I could never figure that out, how can an area of California be so stauchly conservative across teh board? I suppose that with our population there has to be pockets of conservatism... but in Ornage County?
I live in the land of make believe, to be honest, while also quoting a Greenday song.

Though I am moving to Phoenix next month, for different reasons though.

I'll have a better answer tomorrow, I think I am done with trying to discuss anything tonight.

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
Funny, I just discovered Taoism. Not religious Taoism, which is an off-shoot of the original philosophical Taoism (which I subscribe to). Really it's given me very sound logic behind most of the choices I was already making and ended up simply strengthening my beliefs in what I already believed in.

I like it. It's great. It will never be mainstream, though, cos it would be too easy to destroy by those who didn't follow it :) A bunch of pacifists who believe non-action is action? Yeah. Wouldn't stand a chance against any member of American Politics :)

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Balin64 said:
It's HEROES. Check your sig.

You're welcome. :)
I did, Thank YOU? (it was a link to this site, and they don't have it as heroes, you should suggest it though,you're welcome! :p )

To be honest with you, I think you and I would be banned from the site if we truly spoke our hearts about our sociopolitical situation.
Not at all, you are in the majority here. Here I am the minority. Plus it is not SO much what you say, but how you say it, and guessing by your tone, it will never be a problem. But as you can see, there is an everpresent guard/hairtrigger here to keep posters like me on the straight and narrow. :)

Attachments

Kato C.

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Great White North
STU I wouldn't call myself a Taoist (few actually are) but I do like the poetry of the language. I prefer the translation below:

"80. Utopia
Let your community be small, with only a few people;
Keep tools in abundance, but do not depend upon them;
Appreciate your life and be content with your home;
Sail boats and ride horses, but don't go too far;
Keep weapons and armour, but do not employ them;
Let everyone read and write,
Eat well and make beautiful things.

Live peacefully and delight in your own society;
Dwell within cock-crow of your neighbours,
But maintain your independence from them."

I think your quote on good leaders is the famous:

"17. Rulers
The best rulers are scarcely known by their subjects;
The next best are loved and praised;
The next are feared;
The next despised:
They have no faith in their people,
And their people become unfaithful to them.

When the best rulers achieve their purpose
Their subjects claim the achievement as their own."

Sorry for the long post...thanks for bringing this up...a nice break from "are you Shin Buddhist or a Unitarian Universalist" of other threats.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
For those not getting the irony of Taoists "taking over", please read the book Tao of Pooh. As in Winnie the Pooh. Life changing, I guarantee it.

We could only be so lucky as to have a Taoist in charge. Or even, you know, a real Christian.

No WAY. A thread with political in the title that has remained out here in open water.
That said, I think everyone should read the Tao at least twice. Twice because it's short and because if you come from a christian background like I do it will probably take that long for you to let your guard down enough to absorb the simplicity of the text. It may not be something you can adapt to your everyday life, but if you open up a little, it can alter your perception of what life is.

11. the utility of non-existence

Though thirty spokes may form the wheel,
it is the hole within the hub
which gives the wheel beauty

it is not the clay the potter throws,
which gives the pot its usefulness
but the space within the shape
from which the pot is made

without a door, the room cannot be entered
and without windows it is dark

such is the utility of non-existence

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.