Tap Launches Second-Generation Wearable Keyboard With Gesture Controls

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tap, the company that makes a futuristic, wearable keyboard, today announced the launch of its second-generation keyboard, the Tap Strap 2.

The Tap Strap 2 is similar in design to the original Tap Strap, fitting over the fingers and allowing for typing via a series of different finger taps.

Compared to the original Tap, the Tap Strap 2 offers up a new thumb ring glider and better mouse functionality that's more sensitive. Tapping on soft surfaces to type letters is better than it was with the original Tap version, and it now supports 10 hours of battery life.

It connects to devices via Bluetooth, and sports a new feature called AirMouse. With AirMouse, users can control iPads, smart TVs, set-top boxes like the Apple TV, and more using hand gestures.

AirMouse mode works out of the box without the need for calibration or software drivers. There are multiple modes of operation, which vary based on what the user needs to get accomplished.

In Mouse Mode, the Tap Strap 2 can be used to control a cursor, scroll, and click, just as one can do with a standard mouse. In Multimedia Mode, users can play, pause, adjust volume, or skip a track, and in Smart TV mode, users can navigate through menus, select items, and search for content to watch. There's also a separate selfie tap option for snapping photos from afar.

All of the modes work through different hand gestures, and the Tap Strap 2 is designed to anticipate what the person wearing the device wants to do. When a hand is horizontal, the Tap Strap 2 works in keyboard mode for typing via different finger taps. When the thumb is resting on a surface, it switches over to mouse mode, and when the hand is rotated vertically, it swaps over into AirMouse Mode.

Tap says that the Tap Strap 2 is designed to offer enhanced support for the iPad, offering up interactions like horizontal swipes, getting to the Home screen, and launching the app switcher.

In the future, Tap plans to expand its gesture-based capabilities to work for gaming and with AR and VR devices. Starting in 2020, developers will be able to create applications that incorporate AirMouse capabilities using an AirMouse SDK.

Tap Strap 2 can be purchased from the Tap website for $199.

Article Link: Tap Launches Second-Generation Wearable Keyboard With Gesture Controls

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I actually think this is a really interesting product, but there’s a lot of ‘muscle memory’ involved in this, and I could see this being more cumbersome. But in the Gaming aspect, that might be more a benefit for a device like this. But for $200, I certainly hope somebody would plan on using this quite frequently, because that’s a steep price.

bulbousnub

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Not for $200. I might give this a regretful impulse buy at $99 but definitely not at $200.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
As much as Tap wants it to be this...

View attachment 867757

...it isn’t. All those who want to put on a control device and completely relearn how to type, raise your hands. Without moving the cursor.
Not to pick on Samsung, but this reminds me of ‘gesture controls’ that they were trying to implement years ago. Basically where you could use your hands without touching the display, which was read by a sensor/camera, but the U.I failed miserably because it wasn’t intuitive and it takes an extra split-second just to touch the display to accurately pinpoint what the user wants to accomplish.

But still, I got to ‘give credit where credit is due’, sometimes you have to make the advances in technology to put out something different, and I can’t knock this, as I haven’t tried it, but it definitely doesn’t appeal to me, and I’m guessing a large demographic will probably never know about this product.

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
I guess it’s cool they’re still developing this. The first gen wasn’t exactly reviewed glowingly.

It probably has benefits for some who may have disabilities or other issues that make standard computer operation problematic though and that’s great.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Not to pick on Samsung, but this reminds me of ‘gesture controls’ that they were trying to implement years ago. Basically where you could use your hands without touching the display, which was read by a sensor/camera, but the U.I failed miserably because it wasn’t intuitive and it takes an extra split-second just to touch the display to accurately pinpoint what the user wants to accomplish.

But still, I got to ‘give credit where credit is due’, sometimes you have to make the advances in technology to put out something different, and I can’t knock this, as I haven’t tried it, but it definitely doesn’t appeal to me, and I’m guessing a large demographic will probably never know about this product.
Wait for Pixel 4.

chucker23n1

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2014
OK so.

1570725802382.png

First, the website showed the cookie notice to the bottom left.

After a few seconds, it showed the notification prompt at the top.

Then I noticed there was a "Chat with a Sales Agent" popup underneath the cookie notice.

That's when I moved the mouse(!), which showed yet another popup, namely "spin to win".

First of all, I don't know who NextRoll is (do they make Tap?), and don't care.

Second, I almost never want notifications for any website at all, and when I do, it's certainly not a few seconds after the first time I've ever visited it. And it's probably not for a website whose purpose is to show a product. (Who wants notifications for that??)

I also don't want to win one. Well I suppose I do, but let's be real, you're just trying to collect e-mail addresses.

Lastly, I don't want to "chat with a sales agent" before I've had any chance at all to get to know the product because there are four frigging popups on top!

How did we get here?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
As much as Tap wants it to be this...

View attachment 867757

...it isn’t. All those who want to put on a control device and completely relearn how to type, raise your hands. Without moving the cursor.
exactly. if they could make this something that works with current movements that we already know and looked more comfortable I might get it. but i don't want to learn a whole new system of 'typing' just for this

Reactions: Kabeyun