Tap surface to wake Watch in nightstand bug

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WhiteHawk, Nov 7, 2018.

1. WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

Well, after updating to 5.1.1 my Series 4 has a new bug, where tapping the surface it’s on while on charge stops waking the screen in nightstand mode, I have to shutdown the watch and back on, it’ll work for a bit but doesn’t take long to stop working again.

Anyone else having this now?

2. The Boatman macrumors newbie

Me too, just came here to post the same thing. Quite annoying, I use this little feature quite a lot.

3. WhiteHawk, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

WhiteHawk thread starter macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

Yeah me too, the bug seems inconsistent on when it happens, but yep, annoying.

To clarify, it seems to work one minute, then it stops working, and some time later it works again, on and off like that, no issue with it before this update but did have it just stay on when it should have gone off after some seconds a few times so seems Nightstand mode is buggy in Watch OS 5 so far.

4. Tj13 macrumors newbie

5. shooter45acp macrumors member

shooter45acp

6. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Can not replicate this with mine. I updated directly from 5.0 to 5.1.1. AW4.

7. WhiteHawk thread starter macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

5.0.1 (was it before 5.1?) to 5.1.1 for me. Is there a way to force update to the same firmware version to see if that will fix it?

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Closest thing I know of would be to reset it from settings on the Watch.

9. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Yes, 5.0.1 is what I meant exactly.

10. OBirder macrumors 6502

Have not experienced this. AW 4 on Apple charger every night. When I tap the watch it comes on and a little while later turns it off itself. Next tap on again.
    Upgraded to 5.1 first and then 5.1.1.

11. Dougef macrumors newbie

Just got my new AW4 a couple of days ago, and the nightstand mode was fine until last night. Now won't wake up on a tap. Wonder if this will be addressed in next update.

12. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502

staggerlee41

Two watches here, Series 2 and Series 4 updated from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1. I cannot replicate this scenario.

13. WhiteHawk, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018

WhiteHawk

Update, was working fine for a few days, then it happened again, and later again. Can’t pinpoint a link to anything and doesn’t matter how hard I hit the surface it’s on when it’s not working, it just won’t wake the screen at that moment. If I lift the watch off the charger and put it back on, that can make it work for a bit but seemingly randomly it’ll stop working again.

Again, this has never happened to my current Series 4 or old Series 2 before this last update.

14. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

When you are wearing it, does "tap to wake" work?

15. WhiteHawk thread starter macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

Yes, that works fine. I’ve just done a full reset, going to see if that makes any difference.

16. WhiteHawk thread starter macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

Well, a reset made no difference, going to have to hope Apple knows about this bug they just introduced and fixes it soon, bit concerned they won’t though.

17. WhiteHawk thread starter macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

Hasn’t been fixed in latest update, real fed up with this.:(

18. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I think we need a little clarification here because I think people are talking about two different things. When the watch is in nightstand mode you can tap near the watch (not touching the watch itself) and the motion sensors will detect this and the watch will wake up and display the time. So you can tap the nightstand or dresser or whatever the watch is on to make it show the time, no need to touch the watch itself.

That’s what the OP is saying works intermittently, not touching the screen of the watch. That seems to work consistently.

19. WhiteHawk, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

WhiteHawk

Yes, that’s it, worked every time with my Series 2, and every time with my Series 4 before the last update before the current one, it was and still is when it works sensitive enough that even walking close to the bedside unit and charger the watch is on would sometimes be sufficient enough to activate it, but when it isn’t working I can slap the Griffin charger it’s on and nothing, if I tap the screen it still wakes at those moments.

20. ed. macrumors member

21. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

yep same for me. I used to tap my bedside table to see the time but now its very intermittent. Doesn't always work when I tap the screen as well. Very annoying.

22. WhiteHawk thread starter macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

Update, I don’t know about other people but the last week or so this bug has happened less, but it might just be I’ve just missed the times it’s happening so might be nothing, anyone else?

But more importantly I just discovered something, with my watch on charge with tapping surface waking the screen as it should I did the latest iPhone update while it was on charge next to it, as the phone rebooted I tapped the surface again and the watch didn’t wake when it did just fine a moment ago.

When the update was finished I unlocked the phone and wake was working again. So on a hunch I switched my iPhone X off, something I don’t normally do, and low and behold tapping surface to wake watch stopped working again and stayed like that. This time when I switched the phone back on, unlocked it and put it back on my wireless charger next to the watch the watch still wouldn’t wake, tried picking the watch off charge and putting it back on, nothing, so took it off again and unlocked the watch and then put it back down, waited till screen went off and it was back to waking normally.

Seems like there’s a bug in the connection between the watch and phone that’s sometimes stopping the tap surface to wake from working.

What’s the best way to contact Apple with this info?

23. OutGolfn macrumors regular

OutGolfn

Best way to provide feedback to Apple is submitting your experience and issues directly through their feedback page https://www.apple.com/feedback/

24. WhiteHawk thread starter macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

Thanks, done.

25. ed. macrumors member