Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Among the slew of iOS 18 updates announced during Apple's WWDC 2024 keynote, the company revealed a new way of paying for things with Apple Cash, called Tap to Cash.

tap-to-cash-ios-18.jpg

As the name suggests, Tap to Cash lets users pay for things simply by tapping two iPhones together. The feature is reminiscent of NameDrop, where users can exchange contacts by tapping their devices together.

Tap to Cash is an extension of Apple's Tap to Pay feature, and uses the same NFC functionality. Apple says that Tap to Cash allows users to transfer money without sharing any personal information, ensuring privacy is maintained.

Apple also announced a few updates coming to Apple Wallet with iOS 18, including support for displaying information about rewards cards, such as points and redeemable gifts. Tickets for events will also gain better integration with the Wallet app, allowing users to see concert seat numbers, shortcuts for directions, and other information about events.

Article Link: Tap to Cash in iOS 18 Lets You Pay by Touching iPhones

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
What is the big advantage of Apple Cash? Aside from the fact that Apple both gets cash and extra infos about its users.

In Austria we have instant bank transfers, meaning we can transfer money in real-time across most banks, even on weekends, holidays etc. No extra costs mind you.
Just taping two phones is more convenient than having to login to a bank account I guess. We have Swish in Sweden, but it still requires more steps than this to transfer small amounts.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Just taping two phones is more convenient than having to login to a bank account I guess. We have Swish in Sweden, but it still requires more steps than this to transfer small amounts.
This.
I wonder if my bank will be implementing it, they are a FinTech, and pretty fast at doing so.

Additionally, the point of it is to pay someone without transferring bank details, cutting out even more steps.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
What is the big advantage of Apple Cash? Aside from the fact that Apple both gets cash and extra infos about its users.

In Austria we have instant bank transfers, meaning we can transfer money in real-time across most banks, even on weekends, holidays etc. No extra costs mind you.
The fact that you can use your Apple Cash wherever Apple Pay is supported is pretty neat.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Didn't Apple make fun of Samsung for having to touch phones together to exchange information when Apple introduced Airdrop? Now we're having to touch phones together?

• Disagree
Reactions: Samu25

Ad47uk

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2023
That is a good idea, but I expect it will be an Iphone only thing, would be good to have something like which works between Iphones and Android, and in the U.K.

There could already be something like it, but I don't know about it. The way I send cash to people is by transfer to their bank, it works, but a bit long-winded

Reactions: iGeek2019

brofkand

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2006
It wasn't that long ago that Apple mocked Android because Android users were "running around and bumping phones together"

brofkand

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2006
That is a good idea, but I expect it will be an Iphone only thing, would be good to have something like which works between Iphones and Android, and in the U.K.

There could already be something like it, but I don't know about it. The way I send cash to people is by transfer to their bank, it works, but a bit long-winded

Tim's Apple is hostile to users of other platforms, so while it could easily be cross platform you can bet it won't be and that means in practice that the number of people who will use this will be fairly small and basically limited to people in the US and a few other countries where iPhone market share is fairly high.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
Will have have the same issue with name drop when my work and personal iPhone are close together. I had to turn off name drop because the phones were constantly trying to send contact information between them.

Samu25

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2023
Of course available only in the US 😢 bring it to Europe as well!! I am sick of having to use my bank's app or PayPal just to transfer a few bucks 🙄

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.