tap to click

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dave S, May 15, 2012.

1. Dave S macrumors newbie

Tap to click doesn't always work and I can't find a way to increase the sensitivity on this 2011 13" MacBook Pro. It's seems worse if I haven't tapped for a few seconds and sometimes I can tap 5 times before anything happens. I was wondering if there something else to adjust before I contact Apple? I've got the updates and checked that the trackpad is clean. Most forum problems seem to be with a physical click rather than the tap function. By comparison taps on my Compaq trackpad work every time. Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version do you use?
    Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Check your double-click speed. I've usually seen when that's set either too fast or too slow it will adversely affect your clicking, because it's waiting for the next part of a double-click.

jW

4. Dave S thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. Changing users and changing settings doesn't help. It's difficult to compare because the problem isn't consistent. Sometimes it pauses as if waiting for a second tap and other times nothing happens at all. Sometimes nothing happens on multiple taps. Is there anything left to adjust? I don't have it with me today to list the OS X but it is about 10 months old. Is it best to call a shop for ideas or contact Apple Care? Thanks.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Do you have the tap-and-hold drag option enabled? I think that can cause delays in registering a tap.

6. Dave S thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to phone the shop. Tapping is more responsive with everything turned off, but I need dragging turned on and basically every now and then I can tap repeatedly and nothing happens. I hoped someone else would have had the same problem. Reading other threads I am surprised that most people seem to click rather than tap.