Tap to Focus - help me understand

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MoodyM, Jun 28, 2010.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Ok, I know next to nothing about photography.

Can someone tell me why I'd want to use Tap To Focus on the iPhone camera/video camera?

Cheers

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Because the lens has a relatively narrow depth of field (area where the image is more or less in focus), it's easy to take a picture where the person in the foreground is a blur but the tree in the background is in perfect focus. So, you tap the person's face, the camera chooses that as a focus point, and you have a good picture.

Or, more simply, it gives you more control over the image composition.

3. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Er, it's quite simple really. You tap the area on the screen where you want the camera to focus, and it, well, focusses :rolleyes:

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

when you take a photo on the camera you tap where you want to photo to be sharp ie in focus

it is the same as when you look at something close the backgroud goes fuzzy and if you look somewhere far away you are not focused on the stuff close to you, the tap bit means you can centre a photo in the viewfinder and tap where you want the focus of the picture to be

read this http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/hd-video-recording.html and under the tap to focus bit (3 pics down) you can see a demo (it is the exact same for camera and video)

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you wanted to take a picture with you subject off center, it's very helpful.

Like taking a pic of a person standing in the right 1/3rd of the shot, with the distant background taking up the remaining 2/3rds.

Without a way to "force" your camera to focus on what you want, it would simply default to focusing on the center of the shot, in this case being the background.

It also comes in VERY handy for "macro" shots. (very close-in subjects)