Tape Cassette to mp3 file

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blackxacto, Feb 18, 2015.

1. blackxacto macrumors 6502

blackxacto

I use a 14,2 27" iMac w Thunderbolt and USB2 plugs. I want to listen to some old cassettes on my computer. There is no LINE-IN on a 14,2 iMac, only a headphones/speaker plug.

I already have a portable cassette player, I don't see the point of buying these players to convert to mp3 for $50. Don't all I need is a Stereo to USB cable?

As I know nothing about electronics, I want good sound when I convert, or if it is possible.

Does anyone ever convert cassettes to mp3 files?

2. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I've actually converted hundreds of personal cassette tapes to my MacBook Air. The headphone jack supposedly works as an audio input, but I never figured it out.

What I did was get a USB sound card off of Amazon that has an audio input, and connected the cassette player to the audio input.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

4. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

Did you have to install the sound card into your mac? Dumb question, maybe.

5. dyt1983, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

6. richard371 macrumors 68000

Whats a tape cassete? If its what I'm thinking the 12 core nMP with 64 GB ram and 3, 4K monitors might do the trick. But please don't quote me.

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Thanks; I just ordered one of these. I was wondering how to do this also.

8. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

75-80% of internet instructions begin w "use the in-line" on your computer.
    They are a waste of time. There are no longer line-in on Macintoshes (except the Mini).

There are ads for Cassette players w a USB port to collect the converted MP3 file. I ordered two. Neither worked on a Macintosh. They were neither able to convert the played tape to MP3 and store on a USB stick. Just my findings.

There is a lot of advice from well meaning folk's that haven't converted tapes to MP3 since the 90's. They mean well, but their info is crap.

I have ordered an iMic for $30. In two days I will try it. It seems to be the solution, but only testing will prove if it is a solution.

I had no idea of the complete jumble of misinformation and outright ignorance on converting cassette tapes to MP3 on recent Macintosh computers for the lack of in-line plugs.

9. dyt1983, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.