Tape from Sony Z1 won't playback

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RedTomato, Mar 3, 2009.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hiya,

I just rented a Sony Z1 for some filming. The Z1 has gone back to the rental company, and now I'm trying to capture the tapes to edit them, but I've run into a problem.

My cheap Canon DV handycam doesn't want to playback the tapes - the image is blurred and flickers every couple of secs. The Z1 was set to SD, not HD, so in theory playback via the DV handycam should work fine. In practice it isn't working.

It seems to be creating a new 'scene' every two or three seconds, so in iMovie 08 or iMovie HD I end up with a list of 30 scenes for every minute of footage. Also the picture jumps like it is shifting between widescreen and 4:3 every second. This happens both on my laptop screen and in the Canon viewfinder screen.

Any ideas what it could be? Other tapes that were filmed on the Canon handycam playback and capture just fine - I just made and captured a 10 minute shot of the office to check it was working.

I have FCE available but I'm not totally confident with using it.

Help please?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Can you rent the camera again to capture the tapes?

Lethal

3. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hi Lethal,

Thanks for the response. Mmm I'm not keen on paying out again for renting the Z1.

You've inspired me to have a notion - it's possible the camera was mistakenly set to DVCAM mode not DV. What I'm getting looks a lot like this:

http://www.dvforum.com/ubb/get_topic/f/30/t/000047.html

I'm also seeing slowing down of the image on my Canon, which fits with DVCAM being recorded at a faster speed than DV.

It looks like I'm gonna have to find someone with DVCAM gear for playback. TBH I'm amazed a DV camera can make any kind of sense out of DVCAM footage, considering the physical differences on the tape.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Ah, yeah, that's probably it. Good news is that finding something to playback DVCAM is relatively easy as many devices will playback even though they can't record to it.

Lethal