Tape on my Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pellets007, Apr 20, 2009.

1. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Well, I just got a replacement door because the door wasn't sealed properly after use. The hooks are more curved and the front of the device looks proper. However, there is still one corner sticking up which also makes a metallic noise when I set it down. So I tried putting some wall stickers on there, but they were too think so I found some double stick tape and stuck it on the rim surrounding the battery and then the battery itself. I might request another door from Apple, but for the moment is this a OK thing to do? I had thought about the detrimental effects of this thin plastic on the battery, but the tongue (to take out the battery) looks as if it's plastic as well.

tl;dr:
    Is putting tape on my battery to fix the door issues a bad idea?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It won't get hot enough to melt the tape, although it may weaken the adhesive over time.

3. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Ok, thank you.:D

4. foothead macrumors regular

You could use a small amount of hot glue. It will be easily removed when you need to remove it.

5. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I agree. A small blob of hot plastic glue (the kind that dries into a clear sticky putty) would be both adhesive enough to keep it stuck down and also dead easy to peel off if you find a long-term solution.

And if you're worried about the battery possibly melting it again, I use this stuff to keep the inside of my oven held together. And hold my iPhone dock cable to my car dash without damaging it. And to hold my keyboard to my stand at gigs. It'll stick no matter how hot it gets.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would just have it replaced; putting in your own modifications may void your warranty.

7. DPB17 macrumors 6502

+1